CairnTalk

Catch

Jetti

I live quite isolated from sporting events but would like to teach my doggie to catch a ball or frisbee in the air. Is that too much to ask?? I know cairns are a bit small to do that kind of thing (much better for Labs). Is there anybody who has a cairn that does this or has an idea how to teach it to my dog?

sheila and Misty

The regular size frizebee doesnt work for us, but we found a smaller cloth covered one the works great! Misty will jump up and catch it and will bring it back...as far as balls we get medium size and patially deflate them so they are easier to pick up she loves her regulation size football-but 1/3 deflated -she likes to tackle it.

Call me a worrywart - I'd keep the disc low and avoid twisting jumps. I know of one Cairn who suffered from injury and later arthritis sustained playing "hose monster" with lots of jumping and twisting to bite the water stream. High jumps and twisted landings can be tough on joints.

That said, the slightly smaller cloth frisbees seem about right for Cairns. Shoe's Finch adores hers! Ours will chase one a few times, but they quickly switch back to squirrel patrol or other duties.

I honestly don't know how to go about teaching it. It's the sort of activity that seems to be its own reward!

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Archived