CairnTalk

Lure Coursing Cairn Terrier

Greg P

After the earthdog test on Whidbey Island we had fun with the terriers on a make-shift lure course. The "lure" was a plastic bag on a sophisticated string and pulley arrangement. Click to learn about lure coursing.

post-2067-1221006236_thumb.jpg

Here's Kona waiting his turn. He's in an extremely agitated and prey driven state.

post-2067-1221006257_thumb.jpg

Coming at us head on and completely off the ground.

post-2067-1221006266_thumb.jpg

Side view shows his front paws actually behind his back paws. It's easy to see why the sight hounds are bred with a flexible, bowed top-line.

Kona was incredibly fast. The cairns delighted in chasing the lure.

And.....a small brag. Kona completed his 10th Master leg and missed his 11th by just 15 seconds (stopped working -- RATS!!!!) Iron dog was earned on Saturday.

(Photos by Janice Whitcomb)

Greg and Val Perry

Home of Kula RN CGC, Am. Can. Int'l. CH Cairngorm Coffee Tea or Me RA ME EE2/Can. SE NAJ NAS CGC (Kona), CH Clanmarr's Steele Princess (Hattie) and CH Scotchbroom Thistle The Patriot SE (Sully) Visit: CroftersDream.com

That is sooooo cooool!! Really does look like FUN!! So glad that someone was able to take advantage of a lure course. I always wondered if a cairn would stay interested in the lure.

If my boy had a good knee I would have loved to try that with him. The girls really show no interest in bags...the boy on the other hand barks and wants to chase vermin, bags blowing in the wind, etc.

Thanks for the pics and info. Congrats on the Iron Dog. And 10th Master leg (Monk/TV show would be sooo proud of the even 10).

Yes, watching the terriers lure course was a blast! Every cairn (male and female) gave the bag a good chase.

Here's a link to a video of Kona chasing the lure:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=48...65772&hl=en

Greg and Val Perry

Home of Kula RN CGC, Am. Can. Int'l. CH Cairngorm Coffee Tea or Me RA ME EE2/Can. SE NAJ NAS CGC (Kona), CH Clanmarr's Steele Princess (Hattie) and CH Scotchbroom Thistle The Patriot SE (Sully) Visit: CroftersDream.com

whoa that looks like a fun time. wish they had a lure course here at the local club. I am sure no betting took place :D

Greg I think that I talked to you before on earth dog. Gonna give Skipper another try at it in November, sure hope his instint kicks in. He tracks the bushy tailed rats(squirels) till he loses them in the trees. of course not the same as a den

Greg do you think it is possible for you to move down south? I want to be your friend so my kids can play. Great video and what fun

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

Boats85 --

Each step in earthdog forward represents progress. I remember when Kona was a pup we thought it was accomplishment when he put his head fully in the tunnel. Next time out he went in past the shoulder. Next time he made it to the corner. When he finally made it to the quarry, he went in death stare mode. Those were the days!

Liz,

Thanks! We have had a lot of fun with the dogs this year. Come on up and see us sometime!

Greg and Val Perry

Thanks Greg,

Skipper is just 18 months and since earthdog events are in local area, we will just keep at it. Too soon to give up.

Boats

Archived