CairnTalk

Chewing on Cabinets

Posey

Nicky, my 4 month old Cairn is my joy. I was so proud of him and still am. Its just that he has 15+ chew toys and the run of the kitchen area. And now he has decided that the corner of the kitchen cabinets are better to chew on then all the toys we have bought him. I bought him something that we can spray on the things we don't want him to chew on.

Also Nicky got his rabies shot last night-so when he chews on us and we bleed, we shouldn't worry about rabies after a while. He is a little pip!

Posey

I just want to post what I learned off the net. Nicky, had chewed on some of the kitchen cabinets. I felt overly confident in him. Learned that a puppy should never be left unattended in a room. Until they are a year old or older. Just thought someone else may learn from my error.

Posey

I felt overly confident in him.  Learned that a puppy should never be left unattended in a room.  Until they are a year old or older.

Smart! (Our puppy thought wood was a major food group too. Also books.) Good for you for doing extra research. You found the One True Thing about puppies -- don't let them out of your sight for a minute, for their saftey as well as your peace of mind (and cabinets).

Try a product like Bitter Apple. That usually helps. Also, if you catch you dog chewing on the cabinets, make sure to tell him NO! in a firm voice, then give him an approved toy and when he starts chewing on the toy tell him good boy and give him lots of praise.

Andiebelle, thanks for the reply to my post. I bought the stuff you suggested. Will let you know how it works out. I have caught him trying several times starting to chew on cabinets. And I did like you said to do. But now I will also try the stuff you said to try.

Thanks,

Posey

• 3 weeks later...
Nicky, my 4 month old Cairn is my joy.  I was so proud of him and still am.  Its just that he has 15+ chew toys and the run of the kitchen area.  And now he has decided that the corner of the kitchen cabinets are better to chew on then all the toys we have bought him.  I bought him something that we can spray on the things we don't want him to chew on.  

Also Nicky got his rabies shot last night-so when he chews on us and we bleed, we shouldn't worry about rabies after a while.  He is a little pip!

Posey

i think you have way to many toys on the floor for him. try to find the toy he likes the most and just leave that on the floor. then change it up once in a while. try giving him a bone or pigs ear to keep him busy. he may be teething and thats why he is chewing.

Archived