CairnTalk

Skipper's first eathdog event

boats85

What a time we had, me and Skipper. It was raining and windy, intro was a bit late getting started. Finally, Skipper was called for intro, all downhill from there. :confused: When Skipp was released, he did pick up the scent, headed for the den, stopped looked back at me, then started to investigate the entire area. He then noticed the judge went over to greet her, judge tried to redirect him. Skipper then went to the stewart, by then Skipper totally confused as what to do. It was obvious that Skipper was not about to go into that den. The judge showed Skipper the rats, Skipp was not impressed. I got Skipper releashed and left the den area. Half a dozen nearby spectators told me they were rooting for Skipper to go into den.

Sometime this summer, club is going to do earthdog training classes. So in meantime we will finish up our current obedience training and take a Rally class. Meanwhile looks like Skipper out of a earthdog job. :whistle:, but we are not throwing in the towel yet.

...I wouldn't give up yet.....I'll bet if you put a treat behind your sofa cushions that the little sport would tunnel through all of them to get at it...LOL....I often find my sofa and chair cushions in the floor...and I know Mac was looking for his ball. Maybe they should use a ball down the hole or perhaps that odd sock from the dryer.

That sounds like a very typical beginning. If you saw him notice the scent and track it even for a moment - that's a positive sign. There is a lot going on for a young dog and they can't read the rulebook.

I wouldn't even worry about the lack of interest in the quarry - sometimes that doesn't "turn on" until they are a little older. There's no specific age - it can vary by dog. I've seen dogs that showed no interest (zero, zilch, nada, nil) switch at some subsequent test and then go on to become Master earthdogs. As long as the dog seems to be having fun, we just let them do their thing.

One thing about practice - we tend to enter every test available, but do not practice much in the complete setup between times. Instead we focus on one part at a time - entering the tunnel OR working the rats OR scent work, etc.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Kinda hard to prepare for earthdog. I live in a townhouse apartment with a large grassy area plenty of trees, but I think that the management would frown on me building a den even out of cardboard let alone keeping rats :nono: so I will go to any training the club here has. Skipper sucking up to the judge didn't work. Just glad that I have such an excellent facility nearby, 8 whole miles :thumbsup:

I hope you both had a good time. Brad is absolutely correct in his comment on a typical beginning.

Greg and Val Perry

Home of Kula RN CGC, Am. Can. Int'l. CH Cairngorm Coffee Tea or Me RA ME EE2/Can. SE NAJ NAS CGC (Kona), CH Clanmarr's Steele Princess (Hattie) and CH Scotchbroom Thistle The Patriot SE (Sully) Visit: CroftersDream.com

Keep up the work..it does take time to get them interested, but when it does happen, look out! Not only do they have to like the rats, but they have to get a clue about going in a tunnel, which can be a scary thing. Do go to earthdog practice, it will be worth the effort. It took a whole summer for Brodie to get the hang of going into a tunnel plus we had to teach him to bark at the rat. Now he is pretty much ferocious!

Archived