CairnTalk

Skipper going to try first earthdog event

boats85

Ive got Skipper registered for intro to quarry on June 7th. Thought about going in cold and see what happens. Skipper is a very courious and adventuresome pup of 15 months and is about to graduate from advanced obedience training. Is there anything I can do to help him along in earthdog, or just see what his natural instints tell him to do. Im sure we will both learn alot from the intro itself. I am very fortuanate to have most of the AKC obedience, earthdog etc. events so close to me. must be at least 9 miles away in Dayton Ohio :thumbsup:

For a young pup with no previous experience I would start with a simple tunnel at home prior to Intro to Quarry. There is no need for anything complicated or expensive. Just a simple straight tunnel, above ground and open at both ends would be a good first step. You can make your tunnel out of almost anything---blankets, cardboard, lumber, etc. The length of the tunnel should be short enough to not intimidate the pup.

Use a treat, toy, belly rub, or whatever it takes to entice Skipper to come through the tunnel. If he balks at the tunnel try a shorter tunnel, a bigger opening, a better treat or whatever it takes to make Skipper comfortable with entering the tunnel. You may need an assistant to keep Skipper at one end of the tunnel while you move to the other end.

When you release Skipper into the tunnel use a command word that will be used each time you release him into a tunnel. The command that you use can be anything you like but it must be the same each time. I say "Rats", that's it, just "Rats". Be careful in your choice of commands, very common words like "Okay" make poor commands.

After a few passes through the tunnel he should be running through like an old pro!

The Intro to Quarry den will be more complicated than your straight tunnel but your command word will tell Skipper to enter the tunnel and, with luck, instinct will take over.

Good luck

George

We did some above ground tunnel work when starting out Kona to get him into a tunnel. As I remember in his first intro and underground tunnel, all he would do is stick his head in and then go pee on the bushes. Next time he went all the way in to the corner and backed out -- FAST. The time after that he went all the way to the quarry. Then he stared! After we taught him to bark, then he took too long to start to bark...or would stop before he should. Finally he put it all together and we haven't really looked back since....and he's a Master Earthdog.

Just remember that progress generally comes in building blocks, but they can and do put those steps together. Try not to get too discouraged if he doesn't seem to do well at first. Even if he's not working, his brain is.

Hopefully you'll have a good intro judge who will really work with you and your dog.

Good luck! Let us know how he does.

Greg and Val Perry

Home of Kula RN CGC, Am. Can. Int'l. CH Cairngorm Coffee Tea or Me RA ME EE2/Can. SE NAJ NAS CGC (Kona), CH Clanmarr's Steele Princess (Hattie) and CH Scotchbroom Thistle The Patriot SE (Sully) Visit: CroftersDream.com

When we were at the All Terrier Fun Day at Purina Farms a few weeks ago, a lady had some interesting suggestions for us. She said she starts her puppies out with a piece of PVC in their pen and in the house. By the time they're ready to try Earthdog, they're so used to playing and running through tunnels that they don't think twice about it. Packy was great with the rats but he hated the tunnel. No matter how interesting and attractive those rats were, the tunnel was scarier. We might try the PVC thing though and see how it goes.

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Thanks for the advice, I was told that I may take Skipper into the grounds this weekend and get some hands on experience or at least have him sniff around the practice tunnels. As far as the rats go I am sure they will have his full attention. I live in a townhouse apartment with a huge grassy area lots of squirrels and rabbits to track, but I think the management would frown on turning it into a earthdog training area, above ground or not.

I entered Skipper both days for intro and hopefully will be able to go back to the grounds afterwards on weekends, of course I will have to join the club, but may be worth it as they have other AKC events as well.

Above all else, me and Skipper will have fun trying.

I'll post again after the event, sucessful or not.

Jim and Skipper

I have been to the earthdog events at Dayton many times and the people there are great. If they are having a work day or practice this weekend, be sure to go, they will give you alot of help. I only wish I lived closer. Also sometimes they have practice on Saturday night after the actual test, be sure and ask someone in charge, because it's not a well known thing. If they do have a practice plan to stay, it will be worth it. Like everyone said sometimes it just takes dogs awhile to put it all together. A few are naturals, but it seems most are not. My two year old still hasn't quite got it figured out for Junior. Joining their club might be something to look into, alot of clubs give class discounts to members, in return for some volunteering and the volunteering will teach you alot too.

Linda
MACH3 Red Lion Springin Miss Macho CDX RAE OF ME
Marquee Cairnoch Glintofmacho CD RE MX MXJ OF ME

Glenmore Hjour Summer Sun

Archived