CairnTalk

House training a 1 year old Cairn

Guest glo

I am confused...We are getting a 1 year old Cairn in a month. We can't wait to get him here, and he is coming from Canada. My question is...The breeder said he has not had an accident since he was 4 months old, and is crate trained, but not house trained. What does that mean? I thought a house trained dog meant he did what needed to be done outside?

How hard will it be to train him?

Also, will he be past the terror terrier stage?

Thanks

Almost sounds to me like the present owner is saying the dog doesn't make potty IN the crate but does OUT of the crate??

If so, looks like you will have to start from scratch with the 'housetraining'. I would keep him confined to one area of the house (we did the kitchen with gates). And, watch, watch, watch every second. As soon as he starts to do his business on the floor....well, you get the picture!

As far as the terror stage...I have a just turned one year old and he is a pistol! Not chewing much anymore (thankfully) but still has his moments. LOVES socks-can't seem to get past that one.

Maybe it would be worth your time having a trainer come in after you see the dogs 'bad habits'. A one year old is still trainable. Our 12 year old learned new commands when the trainer came for our new pup (she couldn't stand being left out of the action when the trainer made her visits :)).

If you are really concerned, I think I would try to talk to the breeder a bit more so you might have a better idea of what to expect.

Good luck!

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

Guest Guest
is crate trained and sleeps in his crate at night. He usually goes to bed around 10:00 p.m and is up at 7:00 am. He is not housebroken however so this will be something you will have to work on. He is very good when around us though and if we think he might have an accident, a firm "no" sends him to the door to go out. You should not have any trouble housebreaking him over the summer as he is old enough were he can easily hold himself.

Not chewing much anymore (thankfully) but still has his moments.  LOVES socks-can't seem to get past that one. 

This sentence stuck out for me since our 1-year old Cairn also loves socks. She rounds them up on laundry day and piles them under an end table in our living room. :devil:

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

Well, according to her email to you, he is still having an occasional accident in the house.

The change in environment could possibly trigger a 'relapse' or make potty training a bit harder. The little guy is probably going to be confused when he arrives at your house.

All the reason to confine him to a very limited area where you can monitor him closely. Will also give you a chance to bond with him :).

I would get lotsa of chew things, toys, etc and keep them in the confined area so he can learn that those are "his" and they are the things he is supposed to chew. Bully sticks are good for hard chewers and maybe some squeaky toys.

Good luck and lucky you to have a Cairn to share your life with :)!

MamaKim....he likes my 22 year old's socks the best! When he is home from college, of course, his socks are always on his bedroom floor. He picks them up and acts so 'weird' when he has them...lol! Like "I know I am not supposed to have these, but I just can't help myself"!! It is a riot to watch!

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

LOL, CathyAnn, Piper likes my 9-year old twins' socks the best, good and stinky, I guess. She gets that same "I know I'm not supposed to do this" look when she gets them too. They really are hilarious, aren't they?

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

BTW....I forgot to mention that my one year old's name is also Piper! But, he is a 'he'........hehehe!

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

Archived