CairnTalk

Eye Problems

Guest Jay

Hello,

My puppy is getting an increased amount of eye secretions and I need to wipe his eyes a few times a day. Is this normal, and is it just because cairns are close to the ground and prone to eye allergies?

The secretions are usually black or white, with some yellow green sometimes.

Thank you all again. :)

I am definately not a vet but I would think that the green/yellow discharge would indicate an infection of somekind. My older Cairn has had eye problems in the past and they could have become serious had we not contacted our vet for proper treatment. Sometimes all it takes is a prescription eye medication....I'd see my vet if this condition persists.

Dudley had some minor eye secretions when we first got him, they were minor, and never of any level that we thought they were infected. BUT, we didn't want to take chance.

On his first trip to the vet, the vet gave him some eye drops (antibiotic I believe? I have a record at home, not in front of me) which cleared up his problems within a day. He hasn't had eye issues since.

Your situation sound more serious. I'd at least call a vet ASAP, if not schedule an appt.

Archived