CairnTalk

My Puppy Hates Sleeping

Guest Jay

Hello,

I desperately need some advice/suggestions.

My 6 month old Cairn does not like to sleep. He will never go into his wire crate voluntarily, and never falls asleep unless I lock the wire crate door. And he does not fall asleep anywhere else either (except in his plastic crate in the car during short drives).

How do I get him to go to his crate and sleep?

Thanks,

Jay

Make his crate a fun place, very comfy, food treats for going in when asked, safe toys. Play a game of fetch or something else that will wear him out just before nap time. Ignore his protests and he'll soon learn crate = relax. Too much crate time can have the opposite effect though. Never use it as punishment. I keep my crate doors open when I'm here and that's where mine usually go to take naps.

HI! The puppy's crate should be a safe-haven - - homey type of place for it to sleep in. Riley's crate had a soft blanket and several soft toys for him and was away from the "hub" of the house. I also agree that you need to really play with them to induce sleep. A worn out pup is a sleepy one!!

Guest Rachel

My 8 Month old cairn Agatha does the same thing. All of a sudden she decided that she will not sleep in her kennal. She decided that she will only sleep underneth the bed. After all of that she decided that she doesn't need sleep at all by finally a few week later she seems to be sleeping alittle more. does you cairn go into the kennal during daytime? Agatha doesn't seem to mind in during the day only at night. Does your go potty in the kennal like Agatha that might be part of the problem? good luck!

Thanks for the advice. His crate has bedding and some stuffed toys. He is tired, that is not the issue. The problem is how do I get him to go into the crate by himself? I would like to leave the door unlocked so he can decide to go in there for a nap without my forcing him.

Thanks again. :D

The problem is how do I get him to go into the crate by himself?

Throw a treat inside and then ignore both it and him. Sooner or later the call of Free Food will most likely override whatever misgivings he is harboring about his crate.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

When we wanted our puppy to go in his crate if we were leaving the house or for bedtime, we repeatedly said, "let's go nite-nite" and offered a 'reward' when he went in. At first, we had to shove his little behind in there, but we made the 'reward' a treat that he LOVED....Lammies or Baa-Baa Q's. They were recommended by our trainer and they are craved by both my dogs. We purchase them at pet stores.

At about 6-7 months, we would catch him on occasion sleeping in the crate with no prodding on our part. When we leave the house now or at night, all I have to say is "let's go nite-nite" and he runs to the crate, gets in and waits patiently for his 'treat'. Of course, we praised him lavishly, as well.

Give it try....praise and reward system. Also, consider where the crate is placed. Ours is right in the kitchen where alot of activity occurs, but underneath a desk. So, he can see us most of the time there. I think sometimes he goes in there just for peace and quiet.

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

All right, now we're having a problem. For a year and a half, he's been sleeping in his crate in the bedroom. Now he's complaining and barking. In the middle of the night, we have to take his crate and put it in the pen in the kitchen.

The whole problem began when he snatched the rabbit out of the bushes and brought it home.

Where's the pet psychic?

The second night we had Murphy we put him in his kennel. He put up the usual protest but after a while he got the idea that when the light go off at night he goes in his kennel. :thumbsup:

During the day when we go to work or go out he goes in his kennel. He puts up a minor protest but once he can't see us he quiets right down. We leave the door

open for him when we are home. The only time we put him in his kennel when we don't go to bed is after he does his satanic impression and won't settle down. After three minutes we let him out and he is his cute little self again. :thumbsup:

He has never really had an accident in there, hold on he did once. We were gone for a while and he backed up to the door and it fell outside the Kennel. I was shocked when he did that, bu then someone told me that dogs don't usually mess in their kennel. Sometimes when he is having a time out, he'll lick his kennel to keep it clean. I just can't get over how much fun and loveable these little dogs

are. After all he is my little buddy!! :halo:

Sally....I will not lay claim to be a pet psychic.....but sounds like your Cairn has the taste of blood.

My thread on stalking/catching birds.....our little guy goes bonkers now over birds and rabbits. Takes a good long while for him to calm down. It all started AFTER the first bird 'kill'......

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

Archived