CairnTalk

Rocky's first agility class

nancy rink

Happy Friday everyone!

Brad, I'm not sure this is in the right category; I looked at 'Sporting Cairn' & this didn't seem like the right topic for that since it's more about an intro training class. Please move this if you need to-

ANYWAY, I took Rocky to his very first agility class this week - I couldn't have had more fun at Disneyland!! We're both officially hooked on this~

I've never been to any sort of obedience or training class with any of my dogs. I've always 'home schooled' & ended up with great, well-behaved dogs - so this was new to me. I've never even treat-trained, believe it or not. From the time Rocky was pretty small, I could see he had a talent for agility though, so as soon as I felt he was mature enough to handle it (just turned 2), we got signed up.

At first I thought I'd made a mistake. During the orientation part, the trainer kept making remarks like 'don't sit too close to the other dogs, terriers can be aggressive' & 'your dog looks like he might be a little pudgy - I'll have to feel his waist to tell for sure' (Rocky is one solid ball of muscle with a completely flat belly) 'terriers are a little hard headed to teach but we'll work with him'. My hackles were starting to rise a bit.

Rocky, however, took all this in stride. He was really excited at first & lunging at the English sheepdog trying to make friends, but he calmed right down & sat quietly with me & watched everything. THEN, he was the quickest to jump up on the ramp & do exactly what we asked. He absolutely rocked the tunnel. Pretty soon the comments were 'wow - he's not aggressive at all - just wants to make friends' and 'Let's have the Cairn take the first crack at this one' to 'This dog is a natural'!!!!!!

I just can't stand myself I'm so proud. Rocky did better than I did - any mistakes were entirely operator error! I have to say though, this was my first experience of Cairn prejudice & I was pretty surprised, even after reading all the posts talking about the subject. I can take the criticism about my skills, but don't mess with my dog!!

If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito

Just like the movie, the underdog rising to the top, cream of the crop, I can hear the crowd, Rocky, Rocky, Rocky

Show'em your stuff

Skipper

Welcome to another "agility cairn". Too bad your instructor has had some bad experiences with terriers. I have been lucky and have never run into that, or at least they haven't said it out loud! You will find as you progress that it is almost always, handler error. My girl who is at the upper levels of agility, actually barks at me if my cues aren't clear or perfectly timed, when we are practicing, she tells me off. Agility is really adicting and creates such a bond between you and your dog.

Linda
MACH3 Red Lion Springin Miss Macho CDX RAE OF ME
Marquee Cairnoch Glintofmacho CD RE MX MXJ OF ME

Glenmore Hjour Summer Sun

Thanks so much everyone for the support!! This is addicting, I obviously need to figure out how to learn fast enough to keep up with my smart boy because he sure deserves it. Any tips on handling (which you know by now I'm a complete novice) would be hugely appreciated. I just ran through some 'homework' with Rocky today & he caught on so quick I was shocked. He can spin left or right, switch directions, go to my left side & right side - without even questioning what I'm asking (as long as there's a treat involved for now). He loves to stay & wait then come barreling to me.

If I can get a friend to come with me I'll get pics. As far as the trainer goes, I'm just converting nonbelievers, one Cairn at a time....:)

If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito

Most of us feel like our dog needs a better handler. Probably Spring feels that way! Just remember it's all about the fun you are having with your buddy!

Linda
MACH3 Red Lion Springin Miss Macho CDX RAE OF ME
Marquee Cairnoch Glintofmacho CD RE MX MXJ OF ME

Glenmore Hjour Summer Sun

Yup C by3- next class is tomorrow night & I'm looking forward to it. I've already messed him up a little in practice - dropped a treat piece into his eye by mistake when getting him to spin (oops), now he's not sure he wants to do that anymore. Dang! He ROCKED it the first time I asked! I gave him a little time off from that trick & will go back in with the ball as the tempter to get him to trust me on that command again. I think I'll also ask the trainer to get her dog to do it in front of him so he can watch.

It's fascinating to train a Cairn. They are so smart & quick - just thinking all the time; you really have to work to stay one step ahead of them & keep their trust.

Awesome! Every cairn needs a job!

Greg and Val Perry

Home of Kula RN CGC, Am. Can. Int'l. CH Cairngorm Coffee Tea or Me RA ME EE2/Can. SE NAJ NAS CGC (Kona), CH Clanmarr's Steele Princess (Hattie) and CH Scotchbroom Thistle The Patriot SE (Sully) Visit: CroftersDream.com

Welcome to the fabulous world of cairn agility!!! I started 10 yrs ago to get a little exercise for my first cairn, and I've been hooked ever since! It's very addictive!

Don't let the terrier prejudice get you down. Those people just don't know what they're missing! Even after I had my second cairn in class for over a year with the same instructor, she still was quick to blame him for any "talking" between him and another dog. She just assumed he started it even though it was usually the other dog. She liked his drive and worked with us a lot, but was always quick to assume the worst of him.

If Rocky's a little worried about another treat in his eye, just skip the trick for a few days, then start again. I've found that if something unpleasant disappears for a while, when my cairns see it next time, it's not that bad and they're ready to try it again.

Let us know how it goes.

Ahh...I think we are taking over the world...although not an agility person (yet!).

One of my obedience instructors made the obervation last week that she is noticing alot more people taking terriers out and competing with them (and sucessfully too). She has goldens and shelties in her life...but she loves the enthusiastic work ethic of my Cairn and the Schnauzer in our class.

Slowly but surely it will be Terrier World Domination! When I am feeling a bit :evil: I contemplate getting a bumper sticker that says "My Cairn Terrier is smarter than your honor student and border collie combined!"

Raise your expectations for what your Cairn can do....and try very hard to meet your Cairn's expectations of you.

Oh - when you get those stickers made, I want one!

Last night was class# 2. There were several more dogs there last night, a Doberman, 2 German shorthairs, the English sheepdog & an adorable long-haired Jack Russell.

The terriers RULED!! It was hysterical; the shorthairs got distracted by every bird that flew through the course, the terriers got bored waiting their turn, and the Dobie's handler was wound up a little tight (hee hee). It really was amazing tho - the terriers were by far the quickest to grasp the concepts.

Apart from tripping into the tunnel, I did pretty good. Rocky needs to be moved to the next level. The trainer seems somewhat over her terrier bias, but still is watching him like a hawk hoping he'll do something bad. Like pee on her equipment. Which he did NOT do!

I had to laugh at your "not peeing on the equipment" comment. That brings back Mac's first trial. He was intact back then and completely housebroken. We trained agility indoors and of course, never had an accident at class. His first trial was -thankfully- the Terrier trial at Kimberton. He wasn't completely ready to run a course, but I figured no better place to start. He flew over the first two jumps, made a sharp turn to the tunnel and..... hoisted his leg on it!!! As long as the equipment was indoors, it was safe. Move it outside where you do your business and it becomes fair game!!! The judge was Terry Brown who couldn't have been nicer about it. I was so embarrassed and he said "don't worry about it. He isn't the first and he won't be the last to pee on equipment!" LOL!

Karen

Oh what a great story Karen! All our classes have been outside & my trainer has a 'thing' about any recreational peeing on her stuff. For good reason, I'm sure - but Rocky has never had issues with marking anything so far. Only on walks when he smells a coyote or something. So, he was being a bit unjustly accused. She'll learn to love us, I'm sure :) I wish I had more options for classes in my area, frankly, but what the heck; we'll roll with the punches.

• 2 weeks later...

These agility stories had me smiling. I have been thinking that agility would be great for my little girl, Abbie. but she is just one. I see where you waited Nancy until Rocky was two. I'm not even certain if we have agility training in the area, but would like to look into it. Is two a better age to begin, when the dog is a little more mature? This is my first Cairn Terrier (but of course I'm in hook, line, and sinker... they are great little dogs) so I'm am really enjoying all the information I get from this forum.

Hi Abbie-

I waited till Rocky was two because he's such a goofball, but I see no reason why some dogs couldn't start earlier. As soon as she can sit, stay, & come to you with some consistency, as well as leash-trained, I'd say you're o.k. to start. Maybe try a basic obedience class first, then call around to some kennels & see if anyone offers agility. I believe they have beginning classes & puppy classes in some areas.

It really is fun. We had a hiatus last week but will be back in class tonight - we're looking forward to it!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived