CairnTalk

Digging potplants

leigh

Do any of you know of a good deterent to keep a year old, incredably curious cairn out of pots?

I know these dogs love to dig, but my fellow Fergus can not resist the fresh mulsh or young plant in a pot. I am worried Fergus and I may be evicted by my partner if I can not find a solution!

My local herb store makes up some stuff that you can mist on plants to keep animals out of them. It doesn't harm the dogs or plants, they just don't like the smell. I can't remember what's in it to save my life though, sorry.

I taught my Cairn to dig on command. It's helped somewhat as I can take him to a place in the yard where digging is allowed and he can get it out of his system. One of the easiest things I ever taught him!!!

Good luck!

Every one of my pansies were pulled out of their pots and had their faces chewed off :whistle: My lettuce was gone in 45 minutes.

Although the antics were not appreciated, I did find myself grinning when I saw Madison's dirty little "beard".

What I'm concerned about is the plants that are poisonous to dogs like tomato. I'm considering putting a fence around the plants on my deck that I don't want her into.

As far as my houseplants go, she jumped in my ficus tree pot one day and dug around a bit but as soon as I said "No", she stopped. I was lucky I was there to see her. I think it's best to catch them in the act (kind of like housebreaking) and then discipline the bad behavior. If you come home to a pile of dirt, Fergus (great name) may not know what your upset about.

• 2 weeks later...

Piper is driving me mad!! :whistle: She dug up half of my impatiens as soon as they were planted. So now, she gets a stern "no diggie" as she heads outside. She knows what it means too. I replanted the flowers Monday. So far, so good. :halo:

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

OMG....we have to say, "no diggin", too! My older Cairn likes to do that 'thing' with her back feet after she goes potty. We say "NO diggin'!!!!" and get the funniest stare back from her..." are you talking to ME-huh?" kind of look! She knows EXACTLY what we're talkin' about!

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

Hi! I don't think Riley is a "normal" Cairn - - he doesn't dig!!!!!! I have numerous house plants all over and not once has he approached them! Also I can leave him alone in the house and he is not one bit destructive - - - maybe I just got lucky!!!

The one thing he does like to do is hide objects - - mostly old bones. I find them in my closet, in my sofa, in my shoes, and even under my bed pillow. Pretty amusing lil guys!!!

Archived