CairnTalk

Adult Cairn aggression towards Cairn pup

Guest susanc

Guest susanc

I have a three year old female Cairn (Casey) who has always been sweet and gentle. Recently had a Cairn houseguest for 5 months, and the two loved playing together. Got a new Cairn (male) pup two months ago (houseguest is gone), and for the first six weeks everything was blissful. She was very much a mother figure, even though she had never had pups of her own. She has always been around adults and children, and other dogs. About two weeks ago she aggressively stole a toy from the pup. Didn't think to much about it - though originally is was just rough play. But yesterday, she virtually attacked him and hurt him badly. Four puncture wounds to the face, one through a salivary gland. Had to be anesthetized for vet treatment. He is doing much better, and of course I am keeping them separated. I am stunned, sad, and very upset with Casey. I need any and all help/guidance I can get. Thanks to all in advance. SusanC :(

Perhaps now that the pup is getting older, Casey feels her "alpha" status is being threatened. Most often the pup tends to get more attention from family members, thus increasing Casey's feelings that the pup is trying to take over.

Do a google search for "multi-dog households" and "dog pack status". There's a wealth of info on how to handle "sibling rivalry". You could also have a trainer or behaviorist come in. They may see some subtle signs that you might not be picking up on. Also might want to take Casey to the vet for an exam, to make sure there aren't any health problems causing the behavior. Pain often shows itself as aggression.

Good Luck.

Guest susanc

Thanks for the great references and insight. Charley is doing much better, and the two seem to be getting along well - although he is a bit wary of her (understandably!). It will be a long time (if ever) before we feel comfortable leaving them alone together. susanc

Hi! I don't know if the problem is physical but pain does present itself in the form of aggression. When my pup was almost 4 months old he suddenly became very aggressive towards all family members - - especially when we would try to hold him. He also started acting a little strange - - we took him to the vets and discovered that he was born with a liver shunt. This made him sick to his stomach and he was generally sick every day until we had surgery to correct it. I am not saying that this is the case with your older dog - - just a suggestion.

Archived