CairnTalk

Digging Pup - digging box

Guest JaeTee

Guest JaeTee

Hi,

I am new to the forum and hope someone can help. :shy:

I live in an apartment, and do not have a yard for my puppy to dig in. He has hit the six month mark and is doing pretending digging and burying.

I would like to build an indoor digging box for him, but do not know what to fill it with. He will eat/chew anything (has cleared the neighborhood of leaves and twigs). And I was hoping not to use dirt or sand, since he would eat it and/or track it around the apartment.

Any suggestions on this dilemma? Please help.... :(

Thanks,

JT

Hi! Pieces of an old blanket or soft sheets (flannel) work well also. Riley seems to enjoy these and doesn't associate them with the bedding I have on my bed. He also likes a square furry piece of material I have on an old chair.

We left some thin cloth for him to "re-arrange" in his crate/enclosed area. He often tries to dig thru the bottom pan of his crate (plastic). But after he does that, he often hides his toys, bowls, his belongings, under his Doggie Bed. I havent really noticed that the pan is damaged too much, so i think it is a good "digging outlet" while it is not dirty or messy for us.

Scully did the same thing. It would crack us up as she would take a rawhide bone and go around and around the living room looking for a place to "dig" and hide the bone. She'd scratch and lay the bone down and then use her nose to "cover it with dirt." She'd be all proud of herself and we're laughing like "Yep, we don't see that bone buried over there."

She has a large fleecy bed for those afternoon naps and she loves to scratch it to make it the way she wants. We have old flannel sheets in her crate and she arranges them by digging the way she wants.

Good luck!

Archived