CairnTalk

Biteing-habits

Guest Silversko

Guest Silversko

HI!

I`m from Sweden and have a sweedish male-Cairn, which is now five months old. I find Cairn terrier a lovely breed, however I have one problem with my dog(Lennox). He loves to bite...! He isn

We had the same problem with Rebel and when he would bite we would hold him out in front of us with one arm. At that point we would tell him no bite and wait until he calmed down to put him down. I guess when he was mid air off his feet we were in control and he had to think about why he was at a place he didn't like. so with every bite he got lifted. It took about 2 weeks before we saw change then we would lift him once a day maybe then not at all. He likes his feet down so the biting stopped. The trainer said they are smart dogs and should never put teeth on skin. Now when we are playing rough and he touches our skin he will cut his eyes at us to see if we mind. He is so smart.

See how smart

http://dpchallenge.com/image.php?IMAGE_ID=67317 I took this pic on a digital photograph challenge called out of place.

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

Guest Tototoo

We have a 7 mon. old and he used to do the same thing. The vet showed us how to hold his nose and the back of his head so he can not open his mouth to bite. When he bit he got his nose held and couldn't pull out cause we were holding the back of his head with the other hand.

I notice with this breed you have to dominate them a bit or they will dominate you. We also did alot of laying him on his back so he was completely helpless. Not letting him get up. If he did wrong like biting or growling immediately make him as insecure as possible. The hand hold on his head, holding by scruff, that other hold the other people talked about, get him out of the situation, even in his kennel. Yelling doesn't help because you will make them do submissive peeing. Just remove him from the situation of where he wants to be. Make it so he is not the one in charge, you are and you won't tolerate that behavior at all.

Good luck, I hope this helps.

K

Hi! My Cairn used to do the same thing - - bite, bite, bite!! We used the method of holding him down on his back with a hand on his stomach and also holding his mouth closed when he got too agressive. Diligence is key - - this worked after many, many weeks of consistently holding him down when he bit. Good luck!!

Archived