CairnTalk

Car Sickness?

shadows_mom

We just got our 11 mo old cairn terrier shadow a couple days ago. on the way home (only a ten minute trip) shadow got car sick in his kennel. our family travels a lot especially in the summer, we have never had a dog get car sick before, but this is our first terrier. Our lab Maggie loves to go for rides and never gets sick. Any suggestion on how to prevent Shadow from getting car sick? We would really like to take him places with us, but I don't want to make him get sick.

That was good, Brad. I also have problems with Madison in cars. The first time she experienced car sickness it was in every way imaginable :shock: Thank God for leather seats!!

Maybe I'll just hang out in the car in the driveway with her some evening, put some soft music on, maybe pour myself a nice glass of wine and see what happens :halo:

I noticed that our Cairn has gotten carsick a number of times. Try to limit food intake right before you get in the car and go, also water.

I heard they have medicine but I'd rather help her/him get out of it naturally.

Besides, this summer she is going on our powerboat with us every weekend --- WHEW!

Should be interesting...

Gina

Hi! My Riley has never gotten sick in our car but is exhibiting new symptoms of - - shall we say - - panic attacks??!!! He starts to pant and shake severely when in the car now. I have taken him all over since he was a pup - -(now a year old) - - and he has always been fine. We have done our vet trips, groomer trips and FUN trips in the car - - I try to mix it up so he doesn't associate the car with pain or any kind of uncomfortable feelings - - - any suggestions??

Do these "attacks" happen every time he's in the car?? When I take Dudley to familiar locations, like for a walk or our in-laws house, he's completely relaxed. However, if we drive somewhere he's either never been, or hasn't been for a while, he'll get a little nervous, and start getting fidgetty. He doesn't have the types of attacks you describe, but he gets a bit uneasy.

Hi! These attacks DO happen everytime he is in the car -- whether it is a short trip or a long trip, - - - for pleasure or for needs - - such as the vet or groomer. I don't understand what prompted this fear - - he has always ridden in the car with us as a little guy and we never had problems before. Also - - he has become my little shadow - - never leaves my side - - and follows me everywhere!! What gives???

Our first cairn was never carsick. But Piper, who turned 1 year old yesterday, does get carsick. Mainly just on short trips. We took her last summer 16 hours to Wisconsin when she was only 3 months old and she was fine. But going to the vet or groomer, she sometimes gets carsick so I'm thinking it may be a bit of anxiety as well. She doesn't appear anxious or nervous in the car. We have noticed and realized not to feed her too close to the time she will be traveling in the car and that has helped tremendously.

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

A few things might be possible:

Any chance he had a bad experience somewhere you took him, such as a vet or groomer??

While Dudley is a very dominant dog, with a strong personality, he always has a hint of uneasiness when encountering unfamiliar things. Not scared, but cautious. He and I also had an encounter with 2 large Labs on the same walking trail a few months back, as these Labs both were able to briefly attack Dudley. No injuries or damage, but he's always a little nervous around large dogs, especially more than 1.

Hopefully, it will pass. Good luck!

Hi! I have been trying to determine if his "panic attacks" in the car are a result of an unpleasant journey to the vets - - he had 3 hospital stays when he was 4 - 7 months old as a result of a liver shunt. The last one was critical - - he was in the intensive care unit at Cornell University for several days. I know they treated him with the utmost care but he may be associating riding in the car with this experience - - it is the only thing I can think of.

He has been in the car since then for many, many fun experiences - - so I am not too sure.

I will be going back to Cornell next week for a routine check-up and I am dreading the 2 hour ride with Riley - - his heart beats so fast - - I am afraid that he will become physically sick - - I think my only option may be to check with my local vet to see if there is anything they can do to calm him down. Thanks for your input!

When I was a kid, our family has a golden Lab that was scared of loud noises and many other things. On the 4th of July (fireworks, firecrackers that made loud noise), she'd go crazy with panic, shaking and hiding, and she was inconsolable for a day. Back then, our vet gave my parents a sedative for her to take when we might expect her to react like this. We gave her the sedative on the next 4th of July, and she basically slept thru the whole day.

I'm not sure if that is a consideration for your Cairn with all his medical issues, but if you're worried, it might be a good short-term solution if nothing else works.

Good Luck!

Hi again! That's the thing with Riley - he cannot tolerate a lot of medicines - - they were even reluctant to put him under with anesthesia during his surgeries. He exhibits a lot of shivering and shaking - - with his heart beating extremely fast - - since I will be the only one with him that day - - I need to check with the vets to see if there is any drug he can take. Thank you again for your interest.

Janko, what's the name of the sedative. It might come in handy for us.

About shaking- Wes began shaking in anticipation of his walk with my husband. So one day, I went with them both, and the shaking stopped.

Wes got carsick only one time- in the winter, when the heater was on. Since we've been making the car cooler, he's been okay.

Now he loves to go out for rides in anticipation of the parks he will be visiting. Every time we near the "dog" park, he acts like a child going to the fair. He jumps up and down on my lap.

Sally, I wish I could tell you. But this was nearly 15 years ago, and our family dog was much bigger than your standard Cairn. So, even if I knew, it either may not even be made anymore, or not a sedative for small dogs.

Archived