CairnTalk

5 Mo. Old TINY TERROR - HELP!

gd4

:devil:Our dog Trinity is the DEVIL! We are frustrated and sad because we are at a loss on what to do with her. She is into everything. We love her dearly and want to keep her but feel so discouraged.

We both work and we have a pet sitter come by and feed her, walk her, water her. The problem is when we crate her, she constantly is going pooh in the crate. It doesn't even bother her to get dirty. I am constantly washing her paws. She will go outside but doesn' really care either way. I know our Mini. Schnauzer who died in December would never be like that about littering her crate.

When we let her out she is into everything, jumping on end tables, pulling thngs off and chewing. She even ripped our wallpaper off the bathroom wall while my husband took a shower. She cannot be left alone even in a gated area. She is WILD.

Will this ever get better? We cannot seem to discipline her because she is not scared of anything. Paper, water, shaking a can, spanking her butt, nothing works. I do not believe in "beating" a dog. So, WHAT can we do?????

HELP! We love her but she is driving us crazy. We even have her enrolled in obedience class. She is very smart but we cannot get her to stop chewing and poohing!

I found, thanks to this board a while ago, that even though you clean the rug or the crate, you may not be removing the smell- which entices the dog to poop and pee in the same places.

If you haven't already, you should get a cleaner specifically made for doggy accidents.

Negative discipline could be reinforcing the pup's bad behavior because of all the attention she is getting. If there's anything I hate to hear in my own house, it's my other family members yelling, "Get off the couch!" "Don't Chew the wall..."

because I know that's exactly what my pup will continue to do.

Wes hasn't been jumping on the couch or eating the wall for quite a while now, because no one reminds him NOT to do it. Whew! We had to direct his behavior to something more appropriate- and that isn't easy sometimes.

(Right now I'm working on a "don't chew the couch" psychology.)

Hi! Sorry to hear you are having such a rough time with your lil one - - many of us can relate to those early days!!

The comment about getting a disinfectant specifically for eliminating doggie smells hit home with me - - I was having a difficult time with Riley in training him to do his business outside. It wasn't until I took the suggestions of several Cairn owners to spray all areas with this disinfectant that things turned around for the better. Within several days, he was doing everything outdoors. You have to continually spray the area to get results. Thank goodness for this forum - - it saved me a lot of frustration!! Good luck!

P.S. I thought I had the "doggie from hell" - - but he is now a year old and such a wonderful lil guy!!! Very loving and obedient!! Hang in there - - it will get better!!

In regards to the crate, I am not sure of the size in relation to your dog, but be sure that your crate is not too big for her.

Dudley's crate is big enough for him to lay down stretched and turn around if necessary, but he has little headroom, and not much extra space. Therefore, when we first got him, although he had accidents during the first few weeks (which are expected) he quickly learned not to soil the crate because we made sure after each soiling, that we cleaned and removed as much odor as possible. Lots of work, but worth it.

You might also consider a reward every time she emerges from the crate without having soiled it. That would reinforce the clean behavior (hopefully). Try to also reward doing her business outside. With Dudley, we were able to clearly define good and bad behavior with treats and appropriate punishment (a good LOUD "NO!" always was sufficient for Dudley). He was a "Wild Child" early on, but he's gained so much discipline during his 1st year, he has turned into an angel!

Welcome to the club. I went through the same thing with Murphy. He was into everything and almost gave him back to the breeder twice, but after we looked at him we just couldn't do it. I know your pulling your hair out and are frustrated and everything else but stop. Your little dog is the same as everyelses that has this great breed we all call the cair terror. No that's right "terror" I was told he'll be a growing concern until YOU show him who's boss and where is in regards to the pack.(your family) Make sure that you eat before he does. Get him into a puppy class so he can understand the basic commands: sit, stay, down stay, sit stay and come. I would suggest going through the phone book in your city and look for a

puppy school. Phone them up and ask how much they charge and what you're going to get for that. Tell them what your problem is and see what kind of suggestions they offer. As I have said before to other people in these pages, get a 32 foot training lead and take him for a run and let him run his little behind off, get him really tired. Don't let them off the leash ina public park. Good luck and don't

give in you'll find out that these little guys are well worth the work!!!! :P

Add me to the group of formerly frustrated puppy Cairn mommies.

Scully (now 9 months) used to climb up on the tables and we were forever chasing her to get the stuff back. She has learned the words "Drop it!". The more you chase her, the more it's a game to her.

We did puppy training at Petsmart and we didn't care of the distracting surroundings. We spent $500.00 on a personal trainer and it was money well spent.

I never thought I'd suggest this, but what we got that works great is an electronic collar. It has two buttons; one makes a beep noise and the other can give them a static kind of feeling. According to him, if she is doing something you say "NO" and push the sound button at the same time. If she continues, then you use the static feeling buttong (which can be adjusted for their weight, etc.). We put the collar on her everyday but hardly ever use it. If she's doing something she's not supposed to we just pick up the remote and she knocks it off.

I was scared to death that we had gotten a true :devil: dog and we were a nervous wreck. I found this forum and found out that Scully was no different than anyone else's dog.

To hopefully make you laugh - Scully decided, I presume, to play an April Fool's Day joke on me. I got dressed for work this morning and put one shoe on and couldn't find the other. Sure enough I got down on the floor and saw it under the bed. I pulled it out and found she had decided to take out the new inner sole I just put in as well as chew the inside of the shoe. They were old - normally - no big deal. BUT, I had bunion surgery in December and I'm supposed to try to wean myself into shoes from sneakers and those were the only shoes I could get my foot into. Now I'm shoeless! Gotta love those Cairns :whistle:

I echo everyone elses suggestions....but I was wondering if you've tried distractions. When she's chewing on something bad, give her a Kong with a treat inside and praise her when she chews it. If she's running wild, maybe a game of tug of war will use up that energy. I had problems with Madison pooping in her crate too. I started to give her dinner a bit earlier and make sure she went before bed even if I had to let her out later than I wanted to. It really will get better with time...don't give up. Just look into those sweet caring eyes and hang in there.

Sometimes I feel like having a Cairn is like having a toddler.

Guest Tototoo

Don't feel bad we have a 7 mon. old and it is amazing they all do exactly the same thing at about the same age. This talk forum (my support group) is a god send. I always had border collie mixes and this is a completely different animal. I don't think he is even a dog. We are going through the same potty problems as everyone else and I have hope because most seemed to get it down pat by 9 mon. so there is hope. Just know that you are not alone and when things get real grime come here if for nothing but the laugh!

Good Luck!

Ahhh... someone else with a 5 month old!! I've just read your dilemma and everyone else's postings and need to add my two cents.

My Molly is exactly the same age. She is doing well in the crate - she is in there for up to five hours at a time because we both work full time. I am able to come home at lunch and spend some time with her - walking her and playing.

Which brings me to my two cents here - no one seems to have mentioned EXERCISE. It sounds to me like your puppy is not getting enough good exercise. I have found that Cairns really require a LOT of strenuous play - more than other breeds that I have owned. A simple walk around the block will not do the trick. They need to run and wrestle and get really winded and tired.

I have a little neighbor girl who is 8 years old and loves to come over and play with Molly. I have noticed that a quick 30 minutes of all out running and laughing and tumbling around turns my pup into an absolute angel for two days after! It's amazing.

I've also taken her to the local dog park - keep her on a long leash - but let her just run and play and socialize with other dogs and she's like a new dog herself.

I'm all for training and structured learning, etc. but I think you should also try some good, hard play and exercise. If you can't do it yourself, maybe a neighborhood kid would like to play with your puppy (like in my situation). It's been a godsend for Molly (and me!).

Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

Wow, I am so glad I read this today. I have having fits with my little Bette who is also 5 months old (nearly 6) and a terror terrier too. She is now in puppy class but wants to jump on all the other dogs and generally seems to need Valium. (just joking) She is so hyper. She used to soil herself in her crate and then I just decided to and a penned in area in the basement because I got tired of shampooing her daily. She is so cute and smart but pees still in the house and climbs on the tables and everything. She has learned to sit and "beg" but is still rough on the lease. My family thinks I'm nuts to have her but I love her. (we always had hound dogs before...ha) Do you all see some maturing with age? I try to walk her every night to wear her out. Any feedback would be great. :w00t:

Terror terriers....that they are. Logan is four months and right there with all of your babies. Our nine year old Westie loves him to death most of the time but the constant aggrivation from him is driving her batty. They run themselves ragged though every night when I get home now. I have noticed a marked difference in his ability to hold his potty until we get outside now that he is getting more exercise with her. It used to be that he would soil his crate EVERY day to the point that my husband was looking for doggie downers so that Logan would settle enough to train. I never connected the exercise with his holding it. If we run him until the panting point, he is very well behaved. If he doesn't get enough running, my magazines and paper are toast and any kitchen towel is a tug.

Good luck with the baby. I'm sure hoping that maturity kicks in here pretty soon. A glass is half full note.....I've lost a couple of pounds with him. The Westie, my husband and myself were pretty content being couch slugs but Logan will have none of that nonsense :lol:

Just keep checking the board. The stories are riots and you will soon find that you are never alone. They are sneaky little devils but oh so much fun. I wouldn't trade him for anything in the world and I know I am going to miss his puppy stage when it is over.....in ten years :whistle:

gd4, you have what is known as a 'dirty pup' if she doesn't care about soiling where she sleeps/eats, ie the crate. When I was training Piper I read this great book, and she addressed specifically how to deal with a 'dirty pup' (it's difficult) but right now I cannot remember for the life of me the name of the book!! I'll post it when I find it. Perhaps it will help a bit.

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

You may do this allready, but it worked well for me. When I took jake outside and he did his business I'd immediately start wrestling around with him and playing when we got back inside. If he didn't do anything outside he would go back in the crate immediately upon getting back inside the house. I'd leave him for about 45 minutes then we'd try again. He picked it up really quick and after a couple weeks he couldn't wait to go outside and do his thing and laid off in the house.

:D I too believe a tired terrier is a better behaved terrier. Riley is now three months old and I am not looking forward to the terrible twos' for a terrier which would be right around the age you all are speaking of. But we do alot of walking and we go to the tennis courts late and we walk and run there.

On a very good day if we get a mile walk and then a wlak around the block around 8pm. he is more than ready for bed and rests in between. This doesn't happen every night but I can see it helps. I espically walk our three year older girl before I strip her coat she seems to be much more easy going and willing to stand still. :halo:

I hate to sound redundant but........ :D My almost 6 month old Ollie is ALL terrior. Ditto......LOtS of exercise............LOTS of positive praise for going outside with the business. We still have accidents but are getting less and less each week. Our two year old Westie was also wild like him but now she is like a model dog. Who wouldv'e guessed? I think puupy school is a help too. You can't imagine sometimes how your good intentions are actually misinterpreted by a dog! Or is it the other way around? Good Luck!

Archived