CairnTalk

Potty Training

Guest Linus

Guest Linus

I have a 11 week old cairn terrier male who is not getting the idea of potty training. I take him out and he thinks it is play time. He runs around jumping and chasing everything he will eat leave, stones, sticks and grass he will do everything else but potty. I have tried being firm not playing with him and saying over and over go potty, go potty. I have even went inside so he thinks he is by himself with no one to play with, he sits and looks at the door. If any one has any suggestion I would be greatful.

VERY VERY FRUSTRATED!?!?!?!?

That might have been something I might have said early on as well. We would take Dudley outside frequently during the first few weeks, and potty would happen sometimes, and sometimes it wouldn't. Whenever he DID go, he was rewarded with a treat or a toy, and LOTS of positive reinforcement.

Try to also get him to go in a certain area consistently - a corner of the yard or somewhere, where when he returns there, he most likely will smell the odor from past potties, and learn to equate that area with the potty area. Early on with Dudley, we would take him to a certain area of the yard every time. He's now 1 year old, and he now chooses his own little areas around the yard.

Other than that, patience and persistence is the key. Be firm, and while you'll get frustrated, sticking to it will reap big rewards, I promise.

Good Luck!

Guest Julie

This sounds just what I am going through with the potty training, I also have an 11 wk old male who has NO clue as to where he is suppose to go. He even poops and pee's in his crate which is only big enough for him to lay down in, he actually goes and then lays in it! Talk about frustrated, Im with ya! I have tried a leash to take him out because he thought it was play time also, but the leash does seem to help a little, he still choses to go inside rather than out. I have never owned a dog who I have worked with for 3 wks now and still has not a clue. My arms are up in the air with this one!

I don't quite know how to describe this "playpen" thing that I used for Madison when she was learning outside business. It was about 10' around, no bottom and very easy to set up. It was tall enough so she couldn't jump out and that's where I'd put her to go. Always kept it in the same place. I'd stay right there and keep telling her to "Go business". When she went I'd make a big deal out of it (neighbors probably thought I was nuts). Sometimes it took awhile...trust me, it was no picnic when the outside temp was -12 degrees at 2:00 in the AM. BUT, she eventually understood.

Trinity is almost 6 mo. old. She stays in her crate when we are out. Sometimes, she gets time outs at home. She doesn't mess very much in the house BUT it seems she has no problem going in her crate at night or during the day. I have removed the newspapers that I used to lay in the cage hoping just the metal tray would deter her.

Does anyone have suggestions? IT's like she is confused and thinks that when we lock her in the crate she can go pooh. She even does it when we feed her in the crate. She has no problem being in it or getting it on her.

I don't know what to do. HELP! I also think she does this for attention or because she is mad that we leave her in the crate.

g

Well, if it were me, I'd go out and get another crate- Something that looks alot different. Maybe she can use one as her den and the other as her toilet.

Guest kushbo

I have an idea that using the newspaper or just leaving the crate unlined can reinforce the idea that it is OK to go there. It's almost like you are "paper training" the pup, only inside the crate. She thinks she is doing the right thing, and that's why it's so hard to break that behavior. The fact that she "doesn't go that much in the house" reinforces this theory - she knows that this a living space and shouldn't be soiled.

I would try using an old towel or blanket to make a cozy bed in the crate. Make her her own comfy living space. Leave a chew toy in the crate to keep her occupied. You may end up doing extra loads of laundry with extra bleach at first, but maybe she'll eventually want to keep her "room" clean.

The previous suggestion of getting a new crate might be a good way to get a fresh start. Maybe even move it to a different spot in the house.

Hi! I would completely disinfect the crate with something like "nature's miracle" that takes away urine smell and then put a towel or blanket on the bottom. I didn't have Riley trained until I started using this stuff and it was almost overnite!! Within a couple of days he started going outside to do his business and I haven't had any accidents since! Also putting a few toys or bones in there is a good idea!

Archived