CairnTalk

Stressed out

misobaby

My 3-month old is a TERROR... he runs crazy around the house, he barks all night long, and when we take him out he doesn't poop...but he does inside.

It's been a very difficult 3 weeks for us. When my husband and I are at work, and the kids are at school...my mother is with him, but she's 80 years old. We tell her not to take the dog out of it's crate...but she says the crying and yelping are driving her crazy.

Is it because he's still really young?? Is it the cairn personality?? I really don't know what to do....

help

Hi! I don't have a lot of answers for you - - being a first-time Cairn owner - - but I can tell you that consistency is key and you need to have a definite routine. Don't give in to the whining - - keep your lil one in the crate when you need to - - the crying will eventually stop when she knows you are not giving in! This is probably a control issue and she is winning. I had the same kind of problems you are experiencing now - - I even considered giving Riley back. I cried a lot too - - thought I had made a big mistake!!!

I think the terrier breed is a bit harder to train but once done - - they are simply amazing!!! Riley just turned a year old - - he is a wonderful dog!!!!! I look back at the year we had - - and I am incredulous at how he has turned into this loving, affectionate, obedient lil guy - - wouldn't trade him for the world. He also had a lot of health issues - - was born with a liver shunt - - and the 7,000 + dollars I had to dole out for his surgeries didn't help matters any. That combined with the "little terror" that he was made for a lot of negative issues.

All I can say is "hang in there" - - keep the training going - - and hopefully things will start to turn around for you - - it will take a while! Good luck!!

Oops - - didn't realize you had a male Cairn - - I do too - - neutering is something you might consider - - Riley seemed to calm down a little more when we had that done - - around 7 months. He's still a little rascal but such a joy!!!

I was ready to take Murphy back after the first week we had him . We went through the same thing as your going through. These little dogs are very determined to do things their way, don't let him win!!! Your in charge not him.

I strongly suggest getting him neutered, unless you want to show him, as said before in this thread it will come him down. However, he will turn into a demon

:devil: from time to time just make sure that you get your feet off the floor and watch him run around the house. I suggest that you get a 32 foot training lead and when you want to take him for a run put him on the end and let him run, you'll be in charge and he'll think he's free. Be patient with him, these are the best little buddies you can have. I'm a first time Cairn owner and Murphy won't be my last.

Otis was 7 months old when I got him for Mother's Day 2003. Since he was with the breeder and at the pet shop for that long he was needless to say....very timid. It wasn't long before he realized he was "home" and was very happy. We always had a dog while I was growing up and it's been a long time since. I can tell you for sure........ he's a looney toon. He is so much fun, you constantly wonder "what the heck is he thinking"? As the others had said, definately have him fixed. Since they seem to be such a wonderfully kooky breed, he will not skip a beat. They have so much energy and love to offer.

Your little guy is still a baby and you know what they say "They grow up so fast" :)

By the way, I never crated Otis and we never had a problem with accidents in the house.

I have a 5 mo. old Cairn female that is exactly the same. She doesn't bark that much but is into everything. I am at wit's end. My husband even mentioned giving her away. We DON'T want to do this.

Trinity will go outside but has no problem poohing inside her crate or anywhere. In fact, only a couple of months ago, she would EAT it. Now she doesn't do that but just jumps in it and makes a mess. I am constantly cleaning her paws.

We cannot let her out of out sight. She jumps on end tables, chews everything and is not afraid of anything...therefore, we have found nothing that disciplines her.

HELP!

omg...it just seems like everyone had their share of problems in the beginning. My Sister just got a maltese and he is sooooooooo good. He had no problems learning how to be housebroken and he behaves soooo well. I guess i'm really comparing and i know it's not fair. I just think that Miso is one of those bratty baby boys, and i know i need to get on him and keep things consistant. He's such a cutie when he sleeps and when he's calm. I'm definetely going to think about neutering him,,,but that's a while away. he's only 3 months old.

thanks for your input....sigh....

I just wanted to say Holly is just now beginning to be calmer and to listen to what we tell her (no) and she is just now 6 months old. As a former dog trainer I can tell you a lot of people get rid of their 5-6 month old dogs because of wild behavior which depending on the breed is usually pretty much gone by one year old. Bigger dogs tend to take a little longer. If you can just keep trying to train, read all you can on the topic and consistently do what is suggested the chances are great that you will end up with a good dog. Kate :D

Archived