CairnTalk

How can I stop unnecessary barking?

kayharley

Madison just learned to use her voice....neighbors, people walking by, a flea, leaf....you get my idea. I've tried the "no bark" and it's usless. Any suggestions? Thanks

Some cairns can become terrible barkers so you do need to get a handle on it quickly. You can try using a small spray bottle filled with water, (only water)

and with her on leash so she is is within "spraying" distance, spray her quickly in the face and use a term such as "no bark", or "quiet". The spray must come quickly and out of nowhere, as they soon realize what the bottle is for and are quiet until you are without it. This is not a quick fix, and has to be worked at for quite a while before just the words will work, but it should work.

Sometimes we will have a class of 12 dogs or so and every second person starts out with a spray bottle for the first 2-3 weeks but after they learn what the term means the bottles are put away. (always in reach though, in case a reinforcement is needed.)

The idea is not to cause the dog any discomfort, but just to startle them into being quiet and then praising them for the quiet.

Good luck

The spray bottle with water worked great with mine. But I had to get several so I always had one handy

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

My brother-in-law who is no expert in animal says he would use vinegar in the water so when he gets a blast the water will be bitter and he'll shut up faster. I

refuse to do this, won't the vinegar have some kind of effect on Murphy's skin.

We use fresh water to spray in his face, a lot of fresh water. He won't need a

bath till he goes to the groomer. What time period between visits is appropriate?

My groomer says every two months. I say every six months. What do you guys think?

I thank you for your suggestions....the water bottle seemed to do the trick today. Our neighbors had some friends over in their back yard and Madison was being a real pain on our deck barking at them. Just a quick squirt, a deep voiced "No Bark" and she got quiet!

I think I'm going to invest in a quality squirt gun to carry around in my pocket. Thanks!! :D

Kayharley

I used the "NO BARK" to Murphy last night and he looked at me like I had just called him a Westie. He looked stunned and he just backed right off. IHe kept an eye

on me because every time a commercial or program came on that he wanted to bark at he'd lok around the room to see if I was in the room. He's not as bad now but we still have a way to go. As for the water gun, don't put it in you pocket they have a tendency to leak and well people may get the wrong idea. Get a good spray bottle from your florist and put it on wide spray not the rocket spray. One good fast spray and a loud "NO BARK" you'll be surprized how fast things will

quiet down. I was. :halo:

I would like to stress the "only water" in the spray bottle.

Dogs eyes are very sensitive the same way ours are, and I can only imagine how much vinegar would sting if it got into the eyes.

I work in a veterinary hospitial and you would be amazed at what we see from day to day when people come up with quick fixes for problems with their pets.

Fenagh

Archived