CairnTalk

Scared Stiff

VICKY

:crybaby: Otis is 1 1/2 yrs old. Approx 3 months ago, a dump truck which was working at the school at the end of our block, turned into the school yard when we were taking our walk. Otis was scared to death since the truck came toward us rather than staying in the street. He now shakes like a leaf and pants when he hears the garbage truck, landscapers, school bus. This can last for atleast 30 minutes. I'm afraid he is going to be "scared to death". I try to comfort him and hold him, I also show him out the window the garbage truck, etc. so he will see that it goes away. I don't know what to do for him and I'm sure the Vet wouldn't know either. Does anybody have any ideas or have had the same experiences??? Please help Otis.....thanks for your reply. Vicky

I used to comfort Wes before I realized that in "Dog Talk" I meant I was praising his fear.

Maybe you should act as though you expect nothing to happen. Or when the truck does come by you can give him a treat, so he look forward to the coming of the garbage truck.

Vicky,

I have been teaching obedience classes for many years now and the most common misconception that dog owners have, is to comfort their dog when it is exhibiting unwanted behaviour.

What the dog understands from the petting and soft tone of your voice is that what he is doing is perfectly normal and you actually are praising him for it.

Try and ignore his shaking and if you can, distract him with something else.

There are somethings that a dog will be frightened of, that they will never really get over, and this may be one of them as the truck was so big and noisy.

Those trucks are huge to us, so just imagine what it seemed like to a little cairn.

I have an older cairn here that many years ago was frightened by, you won't belive this, but our Lazy Boy Chair. The chair was in a reclining position and when put back into the upright position a spring or something let go and made a huge bang. That poor little dog will still not come into the living room if someone is sitting in that chair as she is sure it is going to get her......

Needless to say, that chair is never going to get much use until that little dog is gone as she is part of the family, so we have just learned to live with it.

Best of luck

Fenagh

Archived