CairnTalk

New mommy

misobaby

Hello everyone...i'm a new mommy to a 3 month old cairn and i need some help. When i first met him he was so calm and snuggable....when i brought him home he's a terror. biting and chewing on everything...not peeing in one spot....running all over the place and very hyper. I was not expecting a hyper dog and i don't have much patience at the end of the day. It's been a couple weeks now and I've gotten him to calm down a lot...but he just chews up everything in sight...even after i repeatedly say NO and i try to replace the item with a chew toy. Also i have no idea what "stripping" is for our puppies. Is it just shaving them bald?? Also his ears went from floppy to 1up and 1down...eventually both will go up?? or stay down??

and at 3 months 5 lbs is a little heavy right??...he's a little chubby =)

how big do these dogs get??

ok thanks for listening...

Guest posting as: orlando

Your puppy sounds like a pretty normal Cairn to me... they can be quite a handful at times. Have you thought about a puppy obedience class -- say at your local Petsmart or something like that? Early training is essential for a Cairn and can be alot of fun for you both!

Guest Guest

Hi! I am a first-time Cairn owner and I too was "beside myself" the first few months of Riley's life!! They are definitely a handful to raise and to train but if you can hang in there for a couple months - - you will see a big difference. Constant and consistent training is the key! Riley turns a year old tomorrow and he is the most beautiful, loving, and precious lil dog!!! I wouldn't trade him for all the golden retrievers in the world - - which used to be my favorite dog - - I have raised 3 of them in my lifetime - - but the Cairn is so full of personality!!! Good luck!!!!

I'm not sure how far it's appropriate to extend the 'a puppy is exactly like an infant child' analogy, but the exhaustion from constant monitoring and trying to learn how 'it' thinks and how to affect 'its' behavior sounds about right. Also the part where months and years later you look back and can't believe how 'it' turned into something so much a part of your life (and happily so).

Hang in there. Training and maturation is a process, not an event.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Maybe a pen would give you some relief. Wes has a 2-foot tall metal foldable pen with a door in it that keeps him out of trouble or harm's way. He also has a plastic pen without a door that we got at toys are us when we go on trips.

Oh how your post brings back memories :shock: It will get better with time. The Cairn is a very head-strong dog but if you can get through the early times, you will have a best friend for life.

Do you have a crate? It can give you the "time out" that you need. Plus it's a wonderful housebreaking tool. Please check out the housebreaking posts in this forum...they are so informative and helpful.

From this website I found the "Kong". It's a rubber toy that has a center for treats...the secret is that it's time consuming for them to get the treat out. That should give you some more time plus give your puppy an appropriate chew toy. Madison is now 8 months and all I have to do is say "KONG" and both her and Winnie, my 10 year old Cairn, get excited and run for the cabinet where I keep the treats.

As far as stripping goes...there's some info in this forum regarding that. I never knew that stripping my Cairns would give them wonderful coats. I learned that here. And I now use the Mars Stripping tool because I'm too thin-skinned to actually pull out my dogs hair! :sick:

Congrats on your new Cairn baby. Being a terrier they love to chew. Our Nicky now 21 months old went through the chewing stage. But he is still hyper. For the first six months we stayed home a lot. He was always crying out for attention-yes, he is spoilt. He doesn't want to be away from us for a minute. But sometimes he has to stay home. Nicky weighs 20 lbs. Is very active-and loves to play. You will come to love your Cairn like you have never loved another pet. They just get into your hearts and set up home there. He sounds like he will be more near the preferred 15 lb limit on his weight when he is grown. Good luck with your baby.

Posey :D

Just wanted to echo the others here, your puppy sounds pretty typical. I agree with the crate or pen idea when YOU need a time out. Put the puppy in there and ignore any cries, yelps, etc. Get a ball, my puppy loves to chase her ball and it's a good way to burn up some of that energy. The type I have allows me to shove treats in there so she can entertain herself and give me a half-hour to hour break Yippee!! My puppy is still extremely excitable around new peopl or anmals. i just keep trying to get her out and hope she calms down. They are very smart I have found. Hang in there! Kate

Guest Logansmom

I can relate. My new baby is 13 weeks old and Good Lord how he is a busy little boy! I have an 8.5 year old Westie adn I guess I have forgotten what it is like with a little terrier/terror in the house. Keep smiling and loving him. It does get better.

Take lots of deep breaths and repeat to yourself, "He's only a puppy this won't last forever". It may seem like it but you'll get through it, everybody else did. We're with you all the way. :D

thank you so much for your support...i'm a first time PET owner so it's kind of a new thing for me...

i'm so glad we have informative forums where i can get information and also get feedback.

thanks again

and i'm hanging in there... :confused:

Archived