CairnTalk

Nice To Naughty

jojo's mom

My 9 month old, we have had for a month. He is not neutored yet but to be soon. We have been working on simple commands sit and such, slowly picking up and following. Also is getting used to grooming. bathing and the daily routine. My worry is that he has since the day he came home has nipped at us. At first it was sort of in a playful way which we have been teaching him this is not okay, mostly using the ignore him method and praising when he plays nice. I have gotten him play toys which he enjoys and plays with appropratly. He still at no particular time or reason will bite at us , he will crouch down and growl/bark and seem to appear very angry and want to bite at us. I take him on atleast 3 walks a day in our park also play at my request ball and other attentive activities he seems to enjoy.He has at times bit at visitors, after they have given him time to get used to them and then suddenly without worning open his mouth and bite and growl. I have not found a way to handle this. I have not had him around children as of yet am fearful to do so. He has also not yet been able to be around other dogs with out him barking and wanting to bite them. I got him thru an adoptioin website locally. fell in love at first site, he can be so enjoyable and lovingly. I see this adorable part of our family. I am just at a lost at what to do? The vet has checked him for every possible physical reason and have found he is healthy. I am looking for any helpful suggestions on how to handle our new member to our family. Some have suggeted neutoring will solve the problem. I am commited to him and is needs. I am unfimular to this breed but have been finding several posts to be helpful. I wish that the chat room was utilized I think it would be enjoyable and helpful. Could someone let me know if there is a time when you come on line to chat. thanks for all your help!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Chelsea

He is just a puppy, give him time and he should stop. Oliver was the same way. He is now 16 mo. old and does not do it as much. As soon as the baby teeth fall out, the adult teeth are not near as sharp. Oliver only does it now when he is encouraged to play rough. Good luck! :)

Is his tail wagging when he crouches and barks at you? From what you've said it sounds like it's more than just playtime.

I haven't had to deal with any bad aggression in my girls and I don't know if that's what your fellow is demonstrating. He may just need some settling down seeing you've only had him for a month. I think sometimes their prior environment may influence how they act. I'd just bide my time and see what happens but you're wise to keep him from children if he's nippy. Please keep us posted.

Oh my that picture of play bow ...thats what my JoJo looks like.

We have been doing a little better. :D

I switched vets and groomer to petsmart they are very patient with him and are helpful. We have been going to petsmart, almost every sat. its becoming our JoJo day. I think that socializing him with other people and dogs has been helpful. Although they did have to muzzle to groom him except for the bath.

I have discovered that when he starts to nip at me and i say "no" he stops, but then he will start his crouch and bark routine. Then he will grab one of his stuffed animals or chews toys and almost like he is throwing a temper tantrum. :devil: He runs around barks, growls stops occassionaly to look at me. Its almost funny like he's trying to say "look" at me. I am not sure if he is playing, trying to get a reaction or trying to tell me something. I continue to ignore when he is doing this.

I dont want him to learn i will play when he acts that way or that is going to get my attention. I am hoping I am not reading this behaviour wrong in thinking he is not being aggressive. :halo:

I am really starting to see in him, simular to posts i have read, he is like the child i never had. This message board has helped in helping me to undersatnd and get to know my puppy.

He is getting neutored next weekend. The vet and trainer have said that this will help. Then we are to to training classes.

Thanks for your posts. I truly believe JoJo and I will have a "full" future ahead.

Guest Guest

When Emma was a puppy and play-biting we would immediately stop playing with her and totally ignore her *every* time she started to chew on our hands. Now she rarely does that but I think maybe Cairns do love to chew. She never tries to bite my heels/ankles but when my kids come home for a visit she nips at theirs. I gave her a lamb bone last night left over from our Easter dinner and she happily chewed on it for hours and very nearly devoured it!

Best,

Mary Jane

Hi! When my Cairn was a pup he used to nip at us all the time. Only after strict reinforcement and a lot of patience were we able to break him of this type of behavior. I think he will work out just fine - - you got him a little bit late in life and he probably didn't have a lot of training. You are doing the right thing by him - - good luck!

Archived