CairnTalk

Advantix or Frontline?

Stephandy

Here's a comparison chart http://www.1800petmeds.com/popup_fleatickcomp.htm

The main difference is Advantix repels mosquitoes, which really isn't that important if you're already feeding heartworm medication (such as Heartgard).

I've read of some isolated minor to serious side effects with the use of either medication, so if you're already using one or the other, and have no side effects, stick with it. Also, both Advantix and Heargard are the only flea and tick medication that is not absorbed into the bloodstream. The grocery store brands such as Hartz, etc. gets absorbed in the blood, and fatalities have been known to occur due to them, as well as serious side effects such as seizures. Not worth the $5 savings per dosage in my opinion.

I have used Advantix for 5+ years on three cairns, no problems. I do adjust the amounts I use. I belive the size I purchase is for dogs up to 25 lbs. With a 13 lb. female and a 15 lb. male, I fudge and only use one tube, going one or two drops each per pup, until tube is equally spread between two pups. If you only have one pup, I'd ask vet about using 1/2 per monthly application, and storing remainder for next month in referigerator. It seems to do the trick, and I just want to minimize the amount of chemicals I put on my pups. I agree with another respondent, never, ever consider anything but the two you are conisdering.

We use the Frontline and Sentilel combination and Cody has shown no side effects. We do however get a Frontline for dogs up to 14 pounds, actually the Dog on the outside of the box is a Cairn terrier.

We give them both to him the same day each month. The vet did say that during the colder months that Flea applications are not needed as frequently but Cody has play dates with our neighbors 2 dogs so we just want to be safe.

Archived