CairnTalk

Digging

Daisy

I have a 10 month old female that is as cute as can be. She is well behaved for the most part. But......we have a fenced in yard ( she is in most of the time )but when she goes out she digs!

Will she grow out of this? :(

The usual trick to get them to stop doing one thing is to give them something else to do instead. If she's a ball nut, you could offer her a game of fetch instead.

I heard of a fellow who lived with a Cairn in a high-rise who provided a big cardboard box full of dirt on his terrace, just so his little guy could express that natural terrier need. The thoughtfulness of that makes me smile every time I think of it. While muddy paws are a hassle, I love the smell of earth in our dogs' coats when they come in from working on a 'big dig'. If they are digging near a place that would let them escape the fence, we just put a big rock or log there, or even some wire garden fence. Usually their digging is just a small hole here and there and seems to do no real harm. They appear to go through phases of 'hobby digging' and most of ours have dug a lot less as they get older. But all of them will dig from time to time. For myself, I don't see it as a problem. They are terriers after all.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

• 2 weeks later...

I have to laugh......."stop digging"? Otis loves to dig and I haven't yet found a way to stop him. He loves it and it is soooo much fun to watch. He digs the deepest holes that you can hardly see him at all. He really likes mud too. Unfortunately, he digs in my fathers vegatable garden (flower beds too) but until we plant, he goes crazy. Once the tomatos and eggplants start to grow then we have big problems since he "harvests". If you ask Otis.....he'll tell you that they make great toys to play with in the back yard. Obviously my Dad loves him alot....Otis is still here to "tell the tale". If I could only figure out how to send (attach) a picture, you wouldn't believe the mud!!!

Cairns are terriers. Digging is what they love to do. :D It infuriates me sometimes, especially after it's rained, so I do keep Piper gated on our deck when I can't keep an eye on her for digging. She also knows what "No Diggie" means and will give me a sheepish little look when I catch her. :shy: But all in all, I have just learned to keep towels ready and wash her paws off countless times a week. :whistle:

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

Archived