CairnTalk

Need opinions please ASAP

wags

About registering for a class at Petsmart tomorrow. The fee is $100 which I have to pay today. Wes has to learn to be with all other dogs and people without going ballistic. The fee may be non-refundable. I need opinions, please. Thanks.

Hi. Is there a park or an area nearby that you could take your dog for a walk, and where he would interact with other dogs and dog owners?? I feel our Dudley has learned a lot on his walks, mainly because he's leashed and he's out of his home element. While he's always been a dominant-type, he's always a little unsure on the trail, especially around bigger dogs. It's almost humbling for him.

Plus, you can't knock the exercise! :D

my husband walks Wes every morning. We live in a rural area with few people, some dogs, but mostly horses. Wes loves horses. But we rarely meet horses at the shopping center.

Wes was okay until we went to a motel and the housekeeping staff kept breaking into the room

Wow, tough call. I think you will have to work twice as hard as you would in a class held in a more private setting. However, if you can stay focused, and keep Wes' attention through classes in a roped off area in the middle of a store, during business hours, with food on low shelves and customers with their own dogs (not in class) strolling by you will have a dog that is bulletproof to distractions!

I should say that our nearby Petsmart has classes in the middle of the store. Others may do differently? If I couldn't find something more along the lines of a full-time obedience instructor (you don't actually have to compete) with a dedicated training facility, I would probably give Petsmart a try. I just wouldn't feel I failed if the class turned out less effective than I'd hoped. I think the distractions might be asking an awful lot of an owner and a puppy. Again, in obedience training, proofing against distractions is important. But it usually is built up from small doses.

These are just my gut reactions. I could probably be talked into different opinions. I'm no help at all! :w00t:

p.s. Good on ya' for taking some classes, no matter where. We've found training to be a phenomenal bonding experience with our dogs. We do it for that as much, if not more, than for achieving any specific behavior.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Puppy school was great for us. We found the local obedience school very good (no Petsmart in town then). We just had the one dog then and he was exposed to everything from a yorkie to a wolfhound and got along with everyone. The obedience training is good and it is important to be consistent with the training after class is over.The bottom line is that terriers are feisty and are worse on the lead for some reason. The problem is that they think they are big dogs and are quite fearless.

I called the store and didn't speak to the manager this time. The clerk said we could just come down and see how it works out.

Thanks for all your help.

I will report back.

Well, This morning I went to Petsmart for their 10:30 class. No one else was there except the trainer, who Wes really liked.

But as we were there to get Wesley accustomed to other dogs and people, this arrangement wasn't too great. The trainer suggested as did someone on this board, to take him to a park.

Today was the first time we went to the dog park. Wesley liked it! And he didn't bark at anybody- man nor beast. All the dogs were friendly and so were their people. They even told me that Wes would enjoy himself more if we de-leashed him.

The dog park was a one-acre fenced off enclosure, but to let Wes off leash with all the warnings I read about Cairn Terriers running away... I don't know-

What would you do?

Well I have been letting Holly run in our 5 acre property with the big dog (my outside dog) and always with me present. She was doing really well until...she took off straight for the road and sat down right in the middle of it. It took me a while to get to her and when I did she took off for the neighbor's property across the yard. So let your dog off leash at your own risk and when you have lots of

time for a chase :devil: Kate

Groan.

I can imagine a Wes chase too.

Only trouble is the dog park has a sign that says remove leash when entering. Of course, I didn't today. So wherever Wes went, I went too.

All the people were standing around watching their dogs, and my dog and me

:lol: We take Brandy to the tennis courts that are about ten city blocks from our house. These are completly enclosed.

My husband and I parole the grounds with plastic bags to pick up any trash that may be there. We come prepared with tennis balls and frizbies. I also bring along a small special treat which she doesn't get all the time to lure her back if need be. Other dogs do join us as long as they are friendly.

The tennis courts are snow free now so you can count on us being there quite often. Another plus is if we walk around it six times, it equals a mile. :thumbsup: A plus for us older folks.....

Please don't ever let your Cairn off leash, they will run like the wind.

Why is it that Wes is so sweet and sociable at the dog park, the bank, the shoestore, and the pet store. But he acts like a watchdog everywhere else?

Two good books for new dog owners are "Mother Knows Best" and also "Dog Problems"--both by Carol Lea Benjamin. The books will give you a good foundation for training. Then you can expand to classes, etc.

Lynda Hammel

Virginia

Guest Guest

I'm very fortunate to have a wonderful big park just 1 block from my home which leads down to a ravine right in the heart of the city. I take Emma there every day and let her off the leash, but I *always* have tny kibble treats in my pocket, and I make sure that she *knows* I do!!! I've only had a problem a couple of times even though she's only 1 1/2 y.o. She loves to be with the other dogs briefly, but does come back when her curiosity is satisfied! I think it's good for her to have a little time out there on her own. A neighbor with a black lab walks his dog on the streets with no leash but I would definitely be afraid to do that because she jumps at busses!

Cheers,

MJ

I only let Rebel off leash if it is an enclosed area. Our back yard is fenced and is about 3/4 of an acre. As he gets older he stays with me more but I know a bird or a squirrel and he doesn't give a flip about me. We have a dog park in Athens not to far away and I may try it. He loves playing with other dogs. He loves going to Home Depot and Lowes. He sits so nicely in the basket and he always get petted and loved. I wish more stores would let you bring in pets.

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

Hmmmm....I didn't know Home Depot and Lowes allowed pets in the store?

I have yet to see one here at our local ones.

Does sound like it is fun for your poochie ! Ours love to go to Petsmart!

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

• 3 weeks later...

I keep on a 32 foot training lead which he and I love. He gets to run to his hearts

content and I still have control over where he goes. Some people that see this say

"Why don't you let him off the leash?" Then I say "I will, if you'll spend two hours trying to find him." Murphy is two now and I've never let him off the leash except when he's in the house. It's not that I don't trust him, it's just I don't have two hours to try to find him. He's still my little buddy.

:lol: Obedience class for my cairn is a joke! Trinity is so smart that she follows all the directions at home but in class is totally distracted by the other dogs. We are currently enrolled in Petsmart's class. You may consider this. Our store has a free puppy play time to help introduce pups to other dogs. They are separated by their own size. This would really help you and you can still decide if you want to do the class later, no pressure.

Just a thought. Good luck. Our cairn has no obedience yet, still trying...

Gina

Wes is behaving better- thanks to everyone's advice. A couple of days ago I bought a large spray bottle at Kmart. It was the only one on the shelf and no one seemed to know where it came from.

Anyway I filled it right away with cold water from the fountain. Unlike the other spray bottle, Wes minds this one. Whenever Wes' barking is out of control, I yell "enough!" If he doesn't listen, he gets sprayed.

Today, he growled when I picked him to take him from the car. When he continued to misbehave, I put him back in the car, yelled, and sprayed him. Then when I took him out he acted like a little :halo:

Thanks again, everyone!

Sally

Archived