CairnTalk

Hunting pooches

mykidsmom

Hi All,

Do any of you have Cairns who love to hunt? I know they are great for keeping rodents away...I never thought I would have to worry about rabbits and squirrels and most recently opposum. Although I was totally grossed out the first time George raided a bunnie nest I was not concerned. The full grown rabbit's scream was a bit disturbing. I am petrified that he will get too close to the possum who is twice his size. Gracie just barks! She would run if the possum nipped at her but George thinks he is a German Shepard!

Any ideas?

Hi. Dudley and my in-laws' Cairn, Max, will chase deer when we take them to the their cabin in the woods for the weekend. My father-in-law keeps a saltlick on the property, and deer will come early in the morning or at night for a treat. If the dogs see them there, they will chase them, sometimes deep into the woods where we'll have to go after them to stop them.

Of course, anything like squirrelx, chipmunks, or mice are sure to get them on the chase.

Here is another thread that I posted awhile back....

http://www.cairnterrier.org/forum/index.ph...st=0entry1532

Cathy

P.S. My little guy, 10 months, is rabbit crazy!!!! Whimpers, loud, high pitched squeals at them in the next door neighbors yard thru our fence. I swear the neighbors are thinking we beat him the way he carries on!!

Possum season is approaching soon and I am dreading it :(

Cathy and Piper

Archived