CairnTalk

Concerned about new pup & established plants

kayharley

Madison is almost 7 months...Winnie is 10 years and I'm an avid gardener. Our backyard is landscaped with trees, shrubs & various perennial gardens & fenced in. My problem is that although we never had a problem with Winnie and the various plantings, I'm concerned about Madison and some of the things growing that might be hazardous if she chews on them. If the dogs are out playing in the yard, I'm out there too digging in the dirt (I think I'm part Cairn) And they are always together froliking around.

Does anyone else have a yard that causes them concerns when it comes to pets and plants? As far as the flowers go, nothing I have is bad...but I have some very large Rhodedendroms that are. What to do...... :(

Dudley hasn't had problems since our backyard is quite large and only has 3 trees, and a small garden, and we have small spaces where the dirt is exposed underneath our back deck. Now that things are thawing, he has found the open dirt areas and commenced digging some large holes - which got him a free ticket to a warm bath! ;) He will usually only dig if the area is easy for him to get at - and out of sight from his owners.

Last summer when he was a pup, he loved to sneak into the garden dirt and nose around (only dug once) but I was able to train him to stay out of that. My guess is that I will have to take more drastic measures in '04 since he's an adult and more independent to keep him out. But he never attempted to eat or chew any of the plants.

Archived