CairnTalk

Cairn with new Dogs.

Guest BobK

I bought my Grandmother a female Cairn for Christmas which is now about 18 months old. As we expected, she is a feisty little pup, she is just now warming up to the cat, little by little, but still chases her away from the dinner table!

We may be taking on a few Lhasa Apsos, A male and female 6 years of age. The Lhasas are very well trained and behaved, probably more so than our Cairn at this point! The Cairn, Molly, has some exposure to other dogs, mostly the neighbors Lab, they like to play rough, but get along well.

I'm looking for some advice and hints on a smooth transition introducing two new dogs into HER home. She sticks to my grandmother like glue, always on her lap, and sleeps on her bed every night. I'm concerned with how two attention seeking dogs will affect her, and if it can all work out for the best.

Thanks in advance for any tips and info.

Hi Bob:

Good luck with your new family members. If possible introduce the dogs on neutral territory - maybe at someone else's home. Then be sure that Mollie gets her usual attention, sleeping spots etc. so she doesn't feel too threatened. I have to say that we had very good success bringing an older dog into our first cairn's life and they and our cats have settled in well together. Don't be discouraged about a couple of rough spots it just takes time and patience.

Archived