CairnTalk

Jeckel/Hyde syndrome

rojo

The dog turns into someone elses pet cairn when we try to pick him up...He bit my wife and me...and I mean Hard! blood...

Same behavior as when he had a bone (no longer offered)...is there a site or forum to treat this behavior?...I use my welding gloves to get him to the time out room...Otherwise he's just a lovable little muffin...

Also:

He won't be sleeping with us anymore

and maybe not even allowed on the bed...

He was licking some vegetable oil off something and didn't even act like I was even there when telling him NO...Unphased ignoring...

He'll be one this month...

Thanks for any advice

Rojo :confused:

that is hard to imagine, Abe is soooo babish, he loves to be carried around!

I am sorry that you are having problems with him that way. I hope someone can offer some advice on how to handle him.

I put Abe in a restrained time out from time to time, not petting, just holding him in our lap for 5-10 minutes depending on the severity of the crime. He just sighs deeply, and tries to play pitiful and reformed in order to gain freedom quicker!

It works well for us. Because he loves to be on the move.

SignaturePics.jpg

There is no magic answer that I know of, although several things might help. 1. Get into a series of obedience classes to learn how to communicate to your dog. (One class is not enough.) 2. Get a book, any book. For a one-year old you may want to try Surviving Your Dog's Adolescence by Carol Lea Benjamin. If you have the time and money you may wish to add some of her other books: Mother Knows Best, Dog Problems, and/or Train Your Dog in Ten Minutes a Day (or something like that), and/or books by other trainers as well: Kilcommons' books are good, Rutherford's How to Raise a Dog You Can Live With is good, and so on.

While I have no doubt there are some dogs so ill-bred and so ill-socialized that they genuinely have temperament problems, I strongly suspect the VAST majority are simply dogs being dogs, without clear structure, firm guidance, or effective communication from the owner (and family). At our house I'm sorry to say, nearly every bad habit our dogs have I almost certainly trained INTO them. Not on purpose, necessarily :w00t:

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Archived