CairnTalk

Dominance Aggression

Smokey&Sara

Hello...

This is my first post. I found this website out of desperation. I have 2 cairn terriers one male (Smokey-intact) and one female (Sara-spayed) who came from different litters but are the same age by 2-3 days. They are both abt a year and one month. I have another spaniel mix female (Misty-spayed) that is 9 years old.

I have noticed ever since Smokey and Sara were little (about 6-8 months) that they have some aggression issues. At that point it was generally directed toward each other if I or my partner spent too much time and attention with one of them or the other. They would fight with each other with a ferocity (sp?). I had to take Sara to the Vet once bec Smokey scratched her eye in a fight they had. I just assumed it was their way of getting the pecky order right.

Here in the past 2 months, however, I have notice some dominance aggression from Smokey towards first the other cats and Sara (never to Misty).... when he was on the couch or the bed... and they jumped on where he was. It has steadily gotten worse... Now it is directed towards me and my partner.

Both Sara and Smokey sleep with us in the bed. And when we go to bed at night there is no problem. But when i get up to take a shower and come back into the room, Smokey will growl at me and today after I sat down on the bed he came snapping at me and I thought he was gonna bite me.

If he is under the bed,.... and we walk by... he will come snapping and growlling at who ever passes by the bed. Again you are afraid he is going to bite you.

We talked to a trainer who said that Smokey can not sleep in our bed..... :(

And that we need to board up the bed so he can not get under the bed. He will jump on the bed so we have to crate him at night (which he was crate trained the first part of his life..... so I hope it wont be a problem for him now).

She also said that he has to work for everything now... nothing is free. If he wants attention he must sit. If he wants a treat he must sit or come or whatever.

Does anyone else have any other suggestions? I am considering neutering him, but was afraid this would cause him to become lazy or not active (his cute personality aside from the aggresiveness is why i love him)

Help :huh:

I agree with Bradl and the trainer . As far as neutering goes , and I think most of the people here will agree, it doesn't make that much difference in the energy level. I have a 8 month old male that was neutered at 6 months and he is still the same little ball of energy.

Hi! I have a 11 month old Cairn who was neutered at 7 months - - let me assure you - - his personality and his energy level have not changed since he was a puppy. He is still his rascally lil self - - and I must admit - - at times wears me out chasing after him!!!!

I appreciate everyone's advice. I wonder... if his personality wont be affected by the "snip" how will this help with his aggression?

Thanks

;)

Lack of those male hormones won't be plagueing that boy. As for the energy level, that is an old wives tale. If you would just read this site more closely and see what others are going through with their younger males you will see that nothing stops their energy. :devil:

I plan to look through this site quite well to prepare ourselves for the puppy we are getting the first week of April. We are getting a male. He will be from one of the rescue groups. His mother was in a breeding facility and she was pregnant when turned over to the group.

I have never raised a male puppy, but I see from the posts that they are a different lot all together. I will look forward to those puppy posts.

Bradl, what about the indestructible toys? Any web site we could look into for this? :ninja:

Thanks for the post. Well I've made the appointment for the "snip" on thursday. He is a year old and I dearly hope we havent waited too long to do this. He attacked my cat today... she was walking by when we were trying to feed him. Didnt just growl... he full out ran her down and tried to bite her. Thank god she is quicker... but she didnt fight back so it just reinforced him that he CAN do that kind of thing.

A trainer suggested we hand feed him to show him that we have control over his food. Now he wont eat unless we hand feed him. AAAGGGGGHHHH!! :shock:

He's so damn smart.... after he heals from the surgery... we're gonna look into a behavior therapist.

Archived