CairnTalk

eye surgery tomorrow and I'm upset

kayharley

Well, we've been trying for over 2 weeks to get my 10 year old winnie's eye to heal but today the doc says we have to go with surgery. I love my vet and have confidence in him but I'm concerned over the anesthesia. They're doing it tomorrow and she can come home but with a collar. Just how am I going to keep the 6 month old madison away from her for 10 days.

We use a combination of baby gates, closed doors, and extra crates. Each dog (or set of dogs) gets a turn. It's a pain, but when you have to do it, you have to do it.

I hear you about the anesthesia -- we sweat it every single time. Everything we read and hear says that methods and materials have all made it so much safer than it ever used to be. Will hold a good thought for Winnie and you both.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

My poor Winnie....she looks like one of those satellite dishes with her cone on. The surgery went well and she's such a tough little dog that the next day she was up and running. Problem is that I have to separate my two girls because we can't afford to have Madison, the pup, pull her eye stitches out. Last night we decorated her cone....stenciled paw prints, wrote "get well soon" messages and put doggie stickers on it. Now it looks like an Easter Bonnet!

Hopefully this surgery works and next Monday she'll be good as new. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Max's mom

Our 10 year old male Cairn Terrier has had continuing problems with his eyes - we have taken him to the vet and put creams and drops in his eyes with a diagnosis of allergies - but as soon as the medication stops - his eyes begin to get all itchy and oozing with something that sticks his eyes together and gets caught in his fur. We clean them every day with warm water - but it comes back the next day. He is constantly rubbing his eyes on the carpet and his bed to scratch them. Has anyone had this - we are planning to take him to a vet opthamologist but want advice please.

Is he around any cats? Or does his own hair get into his eyes? You are describing the allergy my son had when he was little. After a special trip to the opthalmologist, the pediatrician told us to use "dacriose solution" eyewash.

Guest posting as: max's mom

No he isn't around cats and his hair is trimmed away from his eyes. We have eyewash - but it just doesn't seem to help. Thanks.

Hmmm...are you using anything on your carpet or floors such as "CarpetFresh" or cleaning solutions?

Just a thought....

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

Archived