CairnTalk

Here we go again . . . .

CarCarDawn

Hi! My male cairn named Riley never ceases to surprise me - - albeit - - - in a disappointing way this time! I finally thought his potty training had come to an end and I could pretty much trust him in the house - - maybe an accident here or there.

Last night he got on my bed and proceeded to pee on it - - this afternoon he got on my favorite chair in the living room and did the same thing!! What is going on with him??!!!!! The only thing different in his life is that we just came back from a week long trip and left him with friends who had a little female dog his size although a different breed. Could she have had an effect on him - - or maybe he felt abandoned??? I don't understand but would appreciate anyone who can enlighten me. Where do I go from here???

That's not potty training (IMHO) it sounds more like marking/revenge :twisted: Usual policies apply: come unglued if you witness it; otherwise prevent it. Watch him like a hawk and read his mind so you can see the thought forming in his knucklehead before he does it. Just think, he's about to enter doggy adolescence. Carol Lea Benjamin has an entire book devoted to just that topic.

Lest any dog owner think thorough puppy-training sufficient to ensure happily-ever-after canine camaraderie, the author of the puppy-training classic Mother Knows Best pinpoints a trouble spot in doggie development. At anywhere between five and 10 months of age, warns Benjamin, the typically "underemployed" family dog will hit adolescence, and even a previously obedient dog may become "bratty," "moody" and easily distracted.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Having had the problem of Scully getting up on the furniture (and thankfully not peeing) but stealing stuff of the tables, I can understand your frustration. My first thought was that it was "spite work" for leaving him.

We just finished four obedience classes in the home with a professional trainer recommended by our vet. The difference in the first hour in Scully's behavior is amazing.

The best thing that helped us with getting on the furniture is an electronic collar which we purchased for $99.00 at Petsmart. We only use it for the sound effect; however, if she totally ignores us we can give her a little static. You push the button and say NO! at the same time and it just sends out this little buzzing noise. Cairn's are no dummies! Scully knows the difference between the TV remote and the E-collar remote....LOL! Probably after the first couple times of using it, she only has to see us pick it up and she stops the bad behavior.

We were able through these classes to keep our spunky, vivacious Cairn, yet stop the bad behavior.

I hope the furniture/peeing thing is only temporary. Good luck

Hi! Thank you both for your responses. We are making progress with the peeing on the furniture situation. The funny thing is that Riley doesn't get on the furniture much - - so I am thinking this whole thing may be about marking and possibly revenge - - or a typical "teenage" behavior - - - sheesh! I thought those days were over!!!!

Anyway - - we are back to going out every half hour or so - - and believe it or not - - - Riley does seem to want to please me with this whole "eliminating outside" thing. We have gone one day without any accident of any type - - -I am keeping my fingers crossed!!!!

Here's hoping that this is a pee-free day, inside at least! ;)

That little bugger was gonna show YOU who was boss - the NERVE leaving him behind...LOL! :devil:

Hi! It has now been 2 full days without an accident - - he seems to be getting back to his routine!!! Here's hoping all continues!! He is a little rascal!!!!!!!!!

For those of you who have been successful housebreaking your Cairns at what age were they fully housebroke? Holly is nearly 5 months old and still has an accident about every 2-3 days. Sometimes right after coming inside from a potty walk. GRRR She is so smart in many ways but this seems hopeless. I used to be a dog trainer and I have never had such trouble with a puppy before in the housebreaking department. The other issue she just flips out when anyone comes over to the house. She is so excited she just can't maintain a sit-stay. I think that is gonna work out with more exposure to new situations. Kate

My dog pee'd on my bed one night...it happened when she was about 7 years old and knew better. To this day I don't know what possessed her to do that. When we got home from a 2 day vacation last year, she proceeded to eliminate all over our hallway rug during the night (and hubby steps in it in the dark enroute to "men's"room) I really think it's spite in their own little way! Can't wait to see what Madison does to us when she gets mad. :shock:

Hello everyone

This comment is mainly to "kropos1". I am having the same problem with Abe he is generally very obedient and wanting to please, however when someone comes around, he is so excited that he is all over the place, all over them, wimpering with excitement, and a lot of time he tinkles drops everywhere...!!!!! Obedience becomes a thing of the past

Actually it worries me for him, because his heart rate gets so fast, and he pants so hard in his excitement! and pity be unto the visitor if they sit down, he is all over them, in their face etc......

I would like to hear of a non violent way to get him under better control. I usually use a short time out ,restraining him in my lap (which he hates) but usually is very effective. He is so wild during this time that I can't maintain control of him to use this method. I tried putting him a room and shutting the door....you would have thought that we litterally cute his legs off or something.....the fit he took, A high pitched bark that would literally shatter glass, yikes!

Thanks for letting me vent!

SignaturePics.jpg

Archived