CairnTalk

How Do You Groom A Carin

Guest lindalou

Guest lindalou

I have a beautiful 16 month old carin. I have never had her to a groomer (we don't have one in our little town) I do bathe her and clip her nails, but she is looking pretty shabby. Can anyone give me some advice or suggestions. Maggie needs a make over!

• 2 weeks later...

Well I am sure this won't make most of anyone happy on the site but here is what we started to do. All the groomers here use the clipper. Everyone always talks about the hand stripping but I found that next to impossible to do myself with Maxwell. He will never be a show dog, but will always be a loving family pet which we will love. I bought a clipper and so far have given him 2 cuts. The first time was to short but I just trimmed him up days ago and he looks adorable. I cut his coat with a #3 and just scissor his face. I like to keep that long and full so he will always look like a cairn.

Max is going to be 2 years in July and it took me a long time before I gave into to clipping. I was worried about his weather resistant coat and all the other things people always said. I am extremely happy we started this, Max just sits so good and lets me do it. I figured it would be much more stressful on him to take him to a groomer so I learned how to do it myself.

Good Luck!

Melanie

Maxwell

Hi! I take Riley to my local PETCO store where they have a salon in the back. The girl at the desk showed me a series of clips - - - from one to five - - - five being the shortest - - that they do on Cairns - - I chose number THREE and couldn't have been more pleased. His hair was longer on the bottom but shorter on the top - - his face was visible - - and they conditioned his hair - - no itching!!! They also do the stripping if that is what you want. I don't know if this is the norm for most of these stores but I really "lucked out" with these people - - they know their stuff!! He also had his teeth brushed and his nails clipped - - the works!!!

Hi again! Sorry - - I goofed - - it is actually PETSMART - - not PETCO - - I get those two confused. Anyway - - the whole process was unbelieveably reasonable - - I usually take Riley every two months for a touch-up!!!

Archived