CairnTalk

Pottie

Guest Baxterl

Guest Baxterl
:huh::sick: Can any one help our Cairn is 5 months old and is already house broke but if we are not right there with her to pick up after her she trys eating her stool? Some one suggested meat ternderizer??

Baxter, welcome to the club. The answer is ya gotta be faster than the dog and take it away.

When we first got Wes, I read a book that said, never let your dog see you pick up after him. Or he'll think you're his servant. Maybe the author blindfolds his dog.

• 1 month later...
Guest kushbo

I've also busted my Cairn doing the same thing (he's 8 months) after an accident in the house. He seemed to do it when he's bored, and there's not a toy around.

I also read that dogs sometimes do this because of the type of dog food. If you feed something that is really high in nutrients, the dog attempts to "recycle" the leftovers.

:sick: Yes, I totally understand how you feel. It is disgusting to walk up on your pup while he/she is dining on something so gross! Obviously, it isn't to them.

I will add to you what I have experienced so far with our 6 mo. old female Cairn.

First of all, she still wants to poop in her cage. She doesn't so much outside the crate but even after an hour if we put her in she doesn't mind poop or being near it! When we first got her she was terrible about eating. It is either the diet or behaviorial issue.

We changed Trinity's diet to a different pup food. This helped a great deal. The doggie tablets to discourage didn't work. It seems the new diet did, talk to the vet.

Also, our vet old us that sometimes new pups do it because it is soft (yuck) and reminds them of being a baby pup eating from mom. However, Trinity STILL does it sometimes. I'm not sure if it is because she doesn't want me to see that she has made an "accident" or if she just wants to do it.

However, do try changing the diet and when you catch the pup going near it to eat or in the act, scold it and make a discouraging vocal response, ehhh,...bad...ect.

Hope this helps! Just keep in mind that it is normal as gross as it is to us.

Gina

;) I would like to know how you got your Cairn housebroke. Trinity is 6 mo. and is crated while were at work during the day in a good size metal cage. We have a pet sitter who comes in within 4 hours - we let her out before she goes inside and yet, she still makes a mess. Also, by the time I get home after the pet sitter she makes a mess. Seems like endless poop in the crate. In the house, she is not so bad at all. Only in the crate.

We have removed the newspaper and left just the metal tray. However, I'm thinking of putting a nice comfy pad in there === maybe she won't want to soil it?

I think she is confused.

When I take her outside, she plays with twigs and eats things, totally ignorning the purpose sometimes. She is semi-housebroken...would like to get her from going in the crate.

I would say the key part of your description is a "good size metal crate". Is the crate big enough for her to move freely, or is it smaller in size? We crated Dudley during weekdays during his first year, and he rarely had accidents during the day after 3 months time. The crate was big enough for him, but small enough so that it didn't allow for a wide range of movement. With restricted space, and the common instinct to avoid soiling their own lair, he was well-behaved.

If she has room to move within the crate itself, she might have set aside a part of the crate as her space, but might regard as free to do her business.

The key is that the crate should only be for one purpose (usually sleeping or retreating) rather than big enough to allow the dog "roaming space" for multiple activities.

Good Luck!

Archived