CairnTalk

Remember Me

kjwarnold

For the last 2 days, I've had to sign in each time I try to get into the forum. Yes, I've checked the "Remember Me" box and cookies should be working on my computer. I'm not having problems with any other sites where they remember my username. Is there a temporary problem with this forum?

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

I had to sign in today, myself. I upgraded this forum and the earthdog forum to a new version on Sunday, so it might be related to that, as I had to login to both.

I'll do some poking around the vendor's support forum and see if there is a bug, or if there's a new setting somewhere I don't know about yet.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Glad I'm not the only one who had to sign in...Of course it's not a major inconvienence but I think we are definately spoiled in this forum. :lol:

Thanks Brad for getting on top of it all.

I found some information that looks interesting.

More importantly though, the cookie specification says that browsers need only accept 20 cookies per domain. This limit is increased to 50 by Firefox, and to 30 by Opera, but IE6 and IE7 enforce the limit of 20 cookie per domain. Any cookies beyond this limit will either knock out an older cookie or be ignored/rejected by the browser.

You may think that there is only one cookie for the forum, but additional cookies are created by using some forum features (for example, voting in a poll, viewing a profile) so over time, if cookies aren't cleared, the oldest cookie will be dumped to make room for the next cookie - if that oldest cookie was your login cookie, you'll have to log in again next time.

This suggests that clearing cookies occasionally may actually help. Also note that for security reasons, cookies expire every seven days (much like they do for Yahoo and GMail and similar). This is a setting recommended by the authors of the forum software. The authors have also written a bug against the software to stop the software from writing cookies for profile views. That will be fixed in a future patch.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Well, something worked! I cleared out all my cookies, signed in to the forum, then left it for a few hours and here I am back, no signing in needed. I certainly didn't know that IE7 had a limit on cookies; guess I'll have to clear them out a little more often.

Thanks, Brad!

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Archived