CairnTalk

Losing Outer Coat...help!

Guest Marsha

I am new here and have a question. I have a 6 y.o. female cairn. She has recently begun losing patches of her outer coat on each side, areas about the size of my fist and growing! She seems to scratch a lot too. Her undercoat remains. I've heard of cairn's casting their coats but can't find any info. about it now. Is this what's happening? Or should I schedule a vet visit? Otherwise she seems healthy. Thanks for your help!!

Marsha

Here is an article that describes the coat growth cycle: http://web3.foxinternet.net/cwhall/article...ooming.htm#skin

I'm no expert but I don't believe Cairns cast or blow coats the way some breeds do. The hair does die, however. In fact one of the problems with not grooming a Cairn (or clippering it) is that the dead coat tends to stay right where it is, making it harder to maintain good skin health. Your Cairn may only be scratching at old dead coat or it may have allergies, mites, or a skin condition. Why not start with a vet visit to rule out health problems?

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Archived