CairnTalk

Catch Me If You Can

Guest TotoToo

Guest TotoToo

Our pup is 5 mon. and its so funny he is doing exactly what everyone else's pup is doing. Although we have a new problem. In the house all day long he comes when called, but you take him outside and he's off down the yellow brick road. We mostly use a leash, but on the rare occasion he is off like a shot and in a foot of snow he is alot more fleet of foot then I am. The worst is he looks back to make sure your following him and he'll let you get within 3 feet of him and just when you think you have him he's gone. I swear he's laughing at me. I call him and he just ignores me. He looks guilty he knows he doing wrong, but he's laughing too hard. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi! Riley will do the same thing and I have found that the only way to stop him from playing "Chase" with me is to have him on a leash at all times. We have a huge backyard - - with a creek - - and a lot of room to run but he takes advantage of me when not leashed. One romp in the woods - - and missing for almost 20 minutes - - scared me enough to put limitations on him! He had a great time that day!!!! Now we play "Chase" in the confines of our home!! They certainly are little rascals!!

Run away! Chase me is a game hard-wired into dogs I think. Twice in emergencies (loose dogs in traffic areas) I have recovered loose dogs by calling to them and then running away from them as fast as I could. They gave chase. One chased me right back into the house :whistle: Another time after getting a puppy to chase me I pretended to trip and fell on the ground holding my knee and crying out. The puppy immediately ran up to give me kisses :wub: and was easily recovered.

Once we were driving in our neighborhood and came across a strange loose dog. I tried running-away but he was wary when I tried my falling down trick. So I got back into the car (my wife was driving), we drove the car up next to him, opened the door and said "go for a ride?" and in he hopped! I couldn't believe it. Five seconds later the owners came huffing and puffing down the street looking for him. He had been giving them a merry chase.

A leash is pretty much the only sure thing. (And even then, watch out for wily little wrigglers.)

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Guest ToToToo

Thanks for your help, it looks like we will be connected for a long time. We have 21 acres and our backyard about 1/2 acre is fenced in and even with that he is crawling under the fence. I guess it will be a leash or a tie out. This is my first terrier and boy are they different from a border collie, but I wouldn't trade him for anything! :)

Archived