CairnTalk

Puppy Ears

ollie

;) My 14 week cairn puppy's ears were "up" for the last month or more, now one of his ears is down and has been for over a week. The Vet is not too concerned however, I was wondering if this was normal. We love him with that dopey looking ear but I'm just curious. Thanks

• 1 month later...

We have a female cairn that had 1 ear up and 1 ear down until recently and she is now 10 months old. Sometimes it still flops, but it just adds to her precious personality! :)

I've been worried that my 3 1/2 month old cairns ears aren't up yet. Someone told me if they aren't up by 3 months they never will be. Gizmos ears are up when he just barely tilts his head back and they stand erect when he lies on his side sleeping. Any hope? Boy does he know how to work a pose. I take him to work with me and when we drive through the coffee hut he gets up on my lap with his paws on the door tilts his head to the side and the girls go crazy. They think he's so cut. Earns him a groumet piece of turkey every morning. I still have to pay for my coffee!

Hi! My pup was a good six months before his ears stayed erect for any length of time. They are still that way most of the time but every once in a while one will kind of flop down - - -I find that most endearing!! They do have the cutest poses!

Guest Kathryn

MY first cairn was Annie. At around 3 months of age, her ear drooped too, and I worried about it until it stood back up. I asked the breeders of our second cairn about this, and apparently it isn't unusual. She said the ear or ears often drop just about when the dog starts teething (not related -- apparently just about the same age), and that it comes back up again later.

But of course they are adorable little creatures when they cock their heads with that droopy ear!

One of my Cairn's ears did that at about that age. He's 7 1/2 months and it still hasn't come back up. He's such a little goofball and it kinda goes with his personality. I really hope it stays like that, but I love him to bits, either way.

Guest Tototoo

We miss the dopey look! He is now seven months and his ears never fold over any more! Any advice on getting it back?

Archived