CairnTalk

Undershot

jendubois

My 13 week old puppy has a less than perfect bite - she has an undershot or underbite. She's our pet - not for show or breeding - so her "imperfection" is not a huge issue for us. But I was wondering if there is anything we can do to help her bite?

I've looked in her mouth and it looks like her top teeth are cutting into the gum behind her bottom teeth - which must be very painful. She's biting everyone and everything. We've given her lots of chew toys which she uses. She's learning "no bite" but still wants to try. :devil:

Any chance that getting her adult teeth might correct this problem? The vet says there's nothing we can do. Just wanted someone else's insights.

Hello all. Our puppy, Cooper, who will be eight months old on the 11th had this problem too. Now that his adult teeth are in, they are as they should be and the overbite no longer exists. Now. if we can get past the crankiness of being nuetered two days ago and the cone on his head, we'll have it made!!! :D

Children don't care how much you know...they want to know how much you care.

No direct experience here, but this site has some discussion of malocclusion.

Puppies should be examined around three or four months of age for early detection of bite problems. A dog's jaw finishes growing at approximately ten months of age, and until that time a mild under or overshot should be left alone as it may corrct itself spontaneously during the growth period. A severe bite structure problem is unlikely to be corrected with aging, but should not be surgically corrected until the puppy is older and has finished growing.

Dental procedures such as tooth extraction, use of spacers or crown height reduction can be performed once the dog has attained full jaw growth in severe malocclusion cases. Since this is a mostly hereditary condition, dogs with malocclusions should be removed from all breeding programs, with the exception of brachycephalic breeds and undershot bites (since this a breed trait).

I seem to recall that in Cairns one condition is more likely to improve than the other, but for the life of me I can't recall which is which at this time. If any experienced breeders are lurking, your wisdom would be appreciated.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Thanks for the info and the link. I will keep my fingers crossed that Molly's bite will "spontaneously" correct itself during her growth spurt. In the mean time, if anyone else has a dog who had an undershot as a puppy - I would like to know if it corrected itself.

Thanks again!

Archived