CairnTalk

Westminster 2007

bradl

According to the Westminster Kennel Club site, 17 Cairns (if they all show up) will be judged on Monday, February 12, at 10:15 AM. Televised coverage (USA network) of the Groups begins at 8 Eastern with the following group order: Working, Terrier, Toy, Non-Sporting.

According to David Frei, Communication Director of the WKC:

Westminster Kennel Club will once again offer streaming video of the breed judging highlights (appx 10 minutes per breed) of each breed on our Web site (www.westminsterkennelclub.org). These will be available within two hours of the completion of the breed judging, barring any technical difficulties (see judging schedule on the Web site). The highlights will be available for free viewing on the Web site for approximately one week following the show. After that week of free viewing, you will be able to purchase a download of the video (no more free viewing at that point). Details are on the Web site, where you can now purchase video downloads of last year’s (2006) breed judging.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Does anyone know who has entered?

If I read the information correctly, in addition to Best of Breed, with 17 entries 2 Awards of Merit can be awarded Interesting to note that the Portland Rose City Classic will have had over 1000 more dogs than Westminster. Westminster however, is an all champions show, so the normal class dogs don't show up.

Greg and Val Perry

Home of Kula RN CGC, Am. Can. Int'l. CH Cairngorm Coffee Tea or Me RA ME EE2/Can. SE NAJ NAS CGC (Kona), CH Clanmarr's Steele Princess (Hattie) and CH Scotchbroom Thistle The Patriot SE (Sully) Visit: CroftersDream.com

Warning: Spoiler! If you don't want to know which Cairn won the breed and prefer to be surprised during the telecast of the group, don't click!

Results of Cairn judging have been posted: http://www.westminsterkennelclub.org/2007/...reed/cairn.html

A streaming video of the judging will be up after a while. If you refresh the page, the link to the streaming video will appear once they've finished editing and uploading it. Probably about an hour after they post the results, I'd guess.

Update: They posted the video - can't link to it directly.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support

What fun to see the video, but it was frustrating not being able to see the exhibitor numbers. Either they didn't go in order, or they cut up the video! I was trying to make sense out of they were. The best I could do was recognize some of the dogs by their owners/handlers. It looked to me like the judge gave them a good examination. The breed winner had quite a skirt!

Greg and Val Perry

Home of Kula RN CGC, Am. Can. Int'l. CH Cairngorm Coffee Tea or Me RA ME EE2/Can. SE NAJ NAS CGC (Kona), CH Clanmarr's Steele Princess (Hattie) and CH Scotchbroom Thistle The Patriot SE (Sully) Visit: CroftersDream.com

I have watched the major dog shows for the last several years, and I am amazed that the same breed of dog makes it each time in the group. If the judging is done as compared to the breed standard, why is it that in the Terrier group, you can almost bet that the judges will pull the same breed for their "cut" every time. In all the shows I have watched, I have never seen a Cairn make the judges cut, much less best in group. Am I just naive thinking that in the major shows, all is fair?

Given that the standard for the Cairn hammers the need to be "medium" in every aspect, the Cairn is almost by definition a dog that won't stand out in a crowd. When a Cairn gets a group placement - it happens sometimes and there have been a few best-in-show Cairns, too - it's really quite special. But I think their low-key, artfully casual appearance, and small size works against them in the terrier group.

For me personally, the only judging that matters is at the breed level. The part that is televised - groups and best in show - to me are mostly spectacle. Enjoyable spectacle (love to see all the different breeds) but entertainment (and business) at the root of it.

Welcome to Cairn Talk, Casey.

Really fun watching all those wagging tails, wiggling butts and expressive faces. I like seeing all the different variations of coats, from color to length to thickness. Some of them are really nice and scruffy, which is how I like my Cairn!

Jandy and my Cairns, Kirby & Phinney 

Well, the dog shows really don't matter to me anyway - as you say, they are entertainment. I have had 4 Cairns, the first one when I was a kid, my dad found him on the side of the road. I agree, the breed judging is better, but the best judge is the owner.

I agree. I love watching all the Cairns, there colors, how they wiggle and such. I could never be a judge they are all winners to me. When I think the best one is going to win I never right! Did you see the poodle? I felt so sorry for that poodle, it looked the bows and rubber bands in his/her was so tight. I wonder if that hurts or gives them a headache like when we were young and our moms put our hair in pony tails OUCH!

What about those Mastiffs? Arent they beautiful. For a big breed I love them. But, my cairns are the best in breed in my opinion.

Rhonda,Kramer & Angel Missy "Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog". "It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are" Missy Rainbow Bridge Memorial
/>http://www.indulgedfurries.com/petdiabetes/memorium/missy2.htm

I was excited to see that the #16 entry of the Cairn breed, CH Paragon's Stately Affair, is a brother to my Bear. He is of the same parentage but an earlier litter. I told Bear, and he was rather unimpressed. However, I think it's neat.

As to the show in general, I really enjoy seeing and learning about all the different breeds. I try to watch the dog shows whenever they are on TV. It is entertaining and educational.

MAKE it a GREAT day!!! :)

Marge

It was interesting to see the variations in the grooming. Some of those guys had a lot of skirt and one dog had his neck pulled so short he looked like a Westie. Some had quite the "britches" in the back...

• 2 months later...
I was excited to see that the #16 entry of the Cairn breed, CH Paragon's Stately Affair, is a brother to my Bear. He is of the same parentage but an earlier litter. I told Bear, and he was rather unimpressed. However, I think it's neat.

As to the show in general, I really enjoy seeing and learning about all the different breeds. I try to watch the dog shows whenever they are on TV. It is entertaining and educational.

Marge

This post brought a huge smile to my face. I own/handle Ch. Paragon's Stately Affair, better known as Zach. And actually, I remember Bear's litter, I believe he was in the litter Paige produced after Zach's litter.

Kintra Cairns

Home of Multi-Group Winning Ch. Paragon's Stately Affair CD RN CGC "Zach"

And ZaZa, the Min Pin

Canine Chronicle article - "Through the Storm" about my first journey to Westminster

/>http://www.onlinedigitalpubs.com/publication/?i=31613&p=205

Yes, it is cool. :D We have been PMing. The internet and forums like this do make it a small world. It's fun.

Marge

Archived