CairnTalk

Eating Poop

ada

MY 7 MONTH OLD JODI STARTED EATING HER POOP WHEN SHE WAS ABOUT 2 MONTHS. I HAVE DONE EVERYTHING (FORBID, FIG NEWTONS, SEP (STOP EATING

POOP). ANY IDEAS? I TAKE IT OUT OF HER MOUTH WHEN I CAN. BUT MY DOCTOR TOLD ME TO STOP DOING THAT BECAUSE SOMETIMES SHE BITES ME.

I HAVE TERRIBLE BITE MARKS ON MAY HANDS. AND MY DOCTOR SAID I COULD

GET AN INFECTION FROM THAT. I AM AT MY WITS END. IT IS SO NASTY.

ada5@bellsouth.net

Hi Ada,

Welcome to the website and "The Club."

Many puppies are poop-eaters!

We even tried hot pepper too, but our puppy thought it was gourmet flavoring!

They outgrow it- well at least I hope they do. Wes is over a year old, and i'm still running out there to "beat him to the poop" and take it away. We haven't had an incident in many, many months.

Hi ada and welcome. Please don't post in ALL CAPS. See Posting Rules (G).

A lot of folks struggle with poop eating so you're not alone. One thing you could try might be keeping her on leash when you take her out and then lead her back into the house when she is done. You can then pick up the poop before she gets to it. Prevention may be easier than correction. I think they usually grow out of this if it doesn't become a habit.

Another tactic might be to have a cookie handy and toss it the moment she finishes. When she goes for the cookie, reach down with a baggie and grab that poop. Or it may be you can just distract her long enough to scoop before she snacks.

Obviously, you have to have your yard completey clean first, and then be aware of each and every poop she takes. Good luck.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Iagan at 4 1/2 months eats it from time to time. I can always tell when he does because his breath reeks of it! :sick: I may get some breath spray for him.

Archived