CairnTalk

Training, Training And More Training...

Melanie

I came upon the "clicker trainer" a while ago and started working with Max. I made sure I searched the web to get as much advice on how it works. I was so impressed because I actually had Max "hand shaking" in about 20 minutes. It went wonderfully!! Ok, now here is the problem: Now everytime I give him the basic command down, sit whatever....he begs on his little butt and his paw shoots straight up!! :lol: As comical as it is and I always have to laugh I am getting a bit frustrated. I have had family members tell me that he sure isn't a very smart dog. This obviously makes me even more frustrated and I am determined to prove them wrong. They can't understand that why he won't come when called if there is something he is concentrating on like a leaf blowing across the yard, squirrel 3 houses down or perhaps something he smells coming off the neighbors barbeque. I told them these are all traits of the Cairn but they insist it is not a very smart breed. Can someone give me a bit of hope for the possibilities on training and what some of your Cairns are trained to do? :thumbsup:

Thanks!

Melanie

Maxwell

Heh. I can picture it. While we have done some trivial clicker training I am not qualified to speak as any kind of trainer. I think what he's doing is called 'offering behaviours' that have earned him treats in the past. It's a sign he doesn't know what you're asking for. Any new behavior will usually begin with the dog trying every behavior they know in an attempt to 'guess' what will trigger that clicker. It may just be that you have to do more training on sit and down, possibly using the clicker, and then wean off the clicker for those behaviors once they are solid on verbal and/or hand signals only.

Unfortunately for us, Cairns are very smart and not always patient. If they don't get a reward for one behavior they often try a variation. They keep 'improving' their performance some way that we may not consider an improvement. Most of the Cairns we've seen training in obedience do better with a constant challenge of different stuff rather than repetitions of one thing.

How smart are they? I've seen Cairns competing and earning titles in obedience competition at the Utility level. Our own efforts are much more modest; our oldest girl and boy earned CD (Companion Dog) titles. Earthdog at the Master level requires some obedience and working partnership skills and the same two dogs have earned their ME titles. We haven't really tried Agility, but there are lots of Cairns doing really well in agility and those dogs have to do directed work while running at top speed! No dummies there!

Finally, the author of a book called The Intelligence of Dogs looked at a number of factors that relate to perceptions of intelligence in dogs. He placed Cairns in the Above Average Working Dogs group. Here is a page that talks a little about that and includes a link to his rankings: http://www.petrix.com/dogint/index.html

Now tell Max to pay attention at school :P

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Hi! I don't really have any special tactics to train a dog - - but I believe the Cairns are very smart animals - - at least Riley is. The first day I brought him home he was only 8 weeks old and I taught him to sit. I repeated the command for several days after and he always got it right. He is 9 months old now and he thoroughly understands certain commands such as: Do you want to go outside? - - Do you want to go for a walk? - - - he will go to the doors - - he also understands - - Do you want to eat? - he will go to his bowl - - also - - - Do you want to go upstairs to bed? - - he will start up the stairs - - also - - - Do you want to play?? - - he will get me a toy, etc. etc. etc. It could be that these are things I do with him everyday but each question suggests a different behavior - - and he always does the right thing!!!! I think you just need to work with them - - try a different behavior and repeat it for several days - - then introduce a new one. Patience is a big plus because it does take a while. Maybe I was just lucky!!

Heaven help me if I say "food" to anybody. He stops what he's doing immediately and looks for some

if I say "truck," he barks like there's an invasion.

..."Cheese"- he's in heaven.

..."Let's go out!" He runs in the opposite direction

I taught Holly my 11 week old to sit after one command and showing her. I was surprised she picked it up so quickly. She also knows outside- goes to the door, and can pick out certian toys...ball. rope, squeaker. She learned fetch after just a few tries. She potties on command (most of the time) and she is mostly housetrained. I'd say that is pretty smart. Kate :thumbsup:

Thanks to everyone for their comments. I checked out the ratings on dog intelligence and found that to be very interesting. I will keep concentrating on my training with Maxwell and will strive for the highest level. I really believe he would be a great therapy dog because of his bedside manner. The positive obedience instructor mentioned that to me as well. She said I just need to let him calm down a bit. ;) He is such a little sweetie I just know with the right training he could make a difference in other peoples lives. I will keep everyone posted.

Thanks,

Melanie

Maxwell

I have been working with Rebel in training classes for over a year now. He loves the classes. I want to use him as a therapy dog also. Our problem so far has been passing the CGC (Cannine Good Citizen). Rebel is very consistent! He has failed it three time. The first time he passed everyting but letting them touch his feet or ears without biting and nipping. The next time let them touch his ears and paws and was perfect until we got to sit-stay and come. This last time we breezed through with only walking on leash left to do and he decide he wasn't going to walk, just layed down and would not budge. The trainer just laughed and said he is a true terrier.

I guess we will try again in a couple of months. I know he can do it all but he just doesn't do it on the same day. :devil:

I think he really likes the classes maybe he thinks if he passes the test he won't go back. HAHAHA We have a local Kennel CLub were volunteers teach the classes so it's not to expensive and I enjoy talking with other dog owners.

Liz

Rebel, Hammurabi, Sugar, Dirty Harry, Paint, Duncan and Saffron

i have to laugh. my dog wouldn't care if you touched his feet nor his ears- if he let you come near him.

his problem is he's very picky about who he socializes with. if he doesn't like you, he'll roar like a lion and scare you away.

about wes on a leash- he acts more like a miniature race horse than a dog!

Archived