CairnTalk

Receding Gums

Guest Helen Haywood

Guest Helen Haywood

My 3-1/2 year old female has just had her 4 front teeth (between the incisors) pulled due to receding gums. Has anyone out there had the same problem????

I'm worried the rest of her teeth will loosen and have to be pulled. Our vet tells me it could be some inherited problem . . . . her breeder has never heard of this.

The only thing I heard was that chewing on hard things may prevent tooth loosening. But then I also heard that chewing on hard things may wear away their tooth enamel and their teeth get sensitive.

We have our older Cairn's teeth cleaned every year at our vet's office. In the past we have had it done every 2 years or so. But, as she is aging (approaching 13 yrs), we are finding that tartar is building up more frequently, thus last time it had only been a year.

Feeding only dry food does help. As does chewing hard bones once in awhile. Unfortunately, she has never liked hard bones...fussy little girl ;) !

3 1/2 years old seems pretty young to be having such severe gum problems. I think I would ask your vet about having routine cleanings performed.

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

Thanks to Sally & Cathy Ann for your replies. The plot thickens as I have found 1 other dog in our area (from the same bloodline as Emma) who has lost teeth at a very early age.

Wow that is unbelievable. I would have to contact the breeder and find out if they are aware of this. They may deny it but at least if they don't you can alert them to this problem. To me it sounds completely genetic, but I am not a vet. I just brushed Maxwells teeth this morning and noticed quite a bit of tarter on his canines. Not that this pertains to your situation but I have a cat that at the age of 8yrs old had to have all but 5 teeth pulled. The vet said that some times it doesn't matter what you feed them or how often you clean them it is a hereditary problem, she is now 18!! Good luck and keep us posted.

Melanie

Maxwell

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Melanie. Yes - I have contacted the breeder that I got Emma from and advised her of the problem. I don't know if it will do any good but I've done my bit. Emma and I have both recovered from the ordeal but it has left a very bad taste in my mouth - if you'll pardon the pun. We'll see what happens next!

Hi

We have two cairns a year apart in age - one has dental problems and one doesn't so perhaps it is genetic. Some of the foods now have a tartar control formula. My vet would like me to brush their teeth but I would like to see hime pry their jaws apart if they are determined not to be brushed. I do give them dentabones periodically.

• 1 month later...
Guest Mandy

Is there flouride in the water? Either available to your dog or your mother's dog. That you found a litter mate with a similar problem might indicate that during pregnancy there was inadequate nutrition for the mother to support normal tooth development. What was the breeder feeding? If it wasn't Nutro, Sci. Diet, Eukanuba, or Doc's Choice, it probably wasn't good enough. Good luck to you and your baby. B)

Archived