CairnTalk

Bit My Son

Guest Jay

I have a 6 month old dog, and on January 1, 2004 He bit mys 3 1/2 son on the face. My son and the dog have a great relationship, but he is 3 1/2. I have told him that when the dog is in his cage to leave him alone, but on this day he was poking at the dog, and before I could get to my son the dog bit him on the face, and drew blood. I can understand the dog because he was backed into a corner and was defending himself, but last night my son dropped playdo on the floor and the dog took it to his cage and when my son reached in to get it back, the dog nipped his hands. I do not know how to handle this situation, I do not want the dog to think it is ok to bite. I am also concerened because I have an 18 month old baby girl. In all of this my questions are, what can I do about the dog, and advice on how to keep little kids out of the cage.

Consider managing your son (and daughter) more actively. Allowing a 3-4 year old to be reaching into a dog's crate or having any interaction at all that is not highly constrained is asking for trouble. You're right - it is not the dog's fault. To be honest, this is why many breeders hesitate (or refuse) to place a puppy in a household with young children. The dog, who is itself still a baby, can end up being punished, or worse, for simply being a dog.

Small children should not be allowed to: wake the dog up, take a toy away from the dog, feed the dog by hand, go near the dog's food dish, pick up the dog, pull the dog's coat, run near the dog, make high-pitched noises near the dog, throw toys near the dog, and so on. All of these sorts of things can activate either normal prey drive or simple play drive - but a six-month old puppy has no clue how to play appropriately with a toddler. If the dog is on leash and under your direct control, maybe. Dog and child loose? No way. Are there some dog/child combinations where there is no problem at all, ever? Probably, but I'm not going to bet the life of my dog on it.

In addition, you will want to teach your dog to have a softer mouth. This can be done as a game with the dog, allowing it to eat, say, string cheese from your closed fist only as long as he does it without his teeth ever touching your hand. Teach him 'easy' or 'gentle' and give clucks and "eh-eh!" noises when he's rough and praise when he's nibbling with just his lips and tongue. A similar game with a toy can help him learn to keep his teeth to himself.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Archived