CairnTalk

Help! First Big Snow!

CathyAnn

I am about to shave my Cairns! They are coming in with tons of snow stuck to their legs, belly and chest.

My dogs love to go in and out, in and out ALOT! But, hubby and I have to put them on the kitchen counter and 'pick' them out of their hair. And, with TWO :devil: 's....

This is getting old!

Any advice??

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

Cathy,

We went through the same frustration you are going through when we got a huge snowstorm here on Long Island a few weeks ago.

Cody had never experienced the snow but took right to it and spent allot of time outside over a 3 day period (lucky for us it was a weekend) digging and rolling around in the snow. We made sure to dry him as much as possible every time we took him in and took extra care with the pads of his feet to make sure he had no snow/ice in between them. We used a couple of beach towels and picked him up every time we let him in (the one time we let him in without cleaning him first he went crazy rolling around spreading snow all over the living room). I am not sure how much snow you guys have or how long it will last (it never stays on the ground much more than a week here) but I can certainly understand how this could become quite a chore, no less with 2 pups. We were lucky in that Cody had been used to the sound of us using the blow dryer on ourselves so whatever we could not get off of him we blew the rest off with the dryer on a cool low setting.

Keep in mind that if you have the snow around for a while, your pups' coats and skin may dry out a little from getting wet and drying over and over (we used a few drops of Linatone on his food for a few days after the snow ended to keep his coat and skin from drying out and it worked great).

What is Linatone? Scully's been doing a lot of scratching for some reason lately and I'm not sure why.

She hates the blow dryer so I try my best to use a large towel to get the snow off her but it's usually a tug of war between me trying to dry her and her trying to steal the towel. Devil child, I'm telling you - she's a little adorable devil dog.

We had a very loooooong day today!

Hubby actually shovels part of the grass and always has for our older Cairn. She' an :halo: and stays out of the deep snow. But.....little :devil: boy nooo, he has to go in the deep snow and run, run, run! Buries his WHOLE head in it!

Started taking him out on the leash this morning. But, after four trips in one hour, I had enough and let him go. Finally broke down and got the hair dryer out to help melt the snow clods.

Hubby and I took them for an outing this evening shopping for a sweater to help keep some of the snow off. Ended up getting him a little red t-shirt with "devil" printed on it. Went with that cause it was easy to get on and off and also went down his legs a bit more than some of the sweaters.

I am glad I bought it now! Our temps are down in the negatives tonight. Brrrrrrrr! And, it seems to be helping keep some of the snow off.

I can't wait for summer B) !

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

Boy do I completely relate to you. Here in North Dakota we have had subzero temps for over a week. On Monday the high for the day was only 10 below with windchills 40below!! I am so amazed that Maxwell goes in and out without much of a problem. Once the temps reach 5 degrees or higher he also runs laps around our entire house and comes in covered with mini snowballs attached to every part of his body. I started leaving a towel at both the front and back door and just scoop him up as soon as he comes in. I can't imagine doing it with 2 but I really get a kick out of my 1!!! I think it is awsome how such little dogs are so dang tough to cold!!

Good Luck

Melanie

Maxwell

Here in Buffalo, New York it has been cold, the high today was 2* with a windchill of -16. Not much snow here. Last year my husband ran the snowblower over the lawn and made paths for. This was a big help. She also wears her jacket too. There is a large bath towel when need be by the slider door. :kiss:

Update....we had a squirrel up in the tree this week on a day that was bitter cold. Little :devil: refused to come in and ran around in the snow under the tree for about 15 minutes. I finally had to go out there and drag him in.

He was soooo cold! Shivering, shaking and full of snowballs. I had to put the hair dryer on low to warm him and help remove the snow. Sooooo.....he sure doesn't appear to be able to recognize that he is getting too cold to be out....duh :idea: !

Weather has warmed up a bit, at least no subzero windchills the last few days. He continues his jaunts all over the yard running thru the snow. I got tired of taking him out on the leash every half hour (he loves going in and out) and is very persistant when he wants out.

Lori......hubby did shovel some paths in the grass, too. My older Cairn is an :halo: about staying out of the snow. But, this little nuthead just jumps right over the snowbanks and right into the deep snow. A towel just won't get the snow off. We have to pull and yank the formed balls out of his coat :huh: . And, he doesn't seem to be 'connecting' to the fact that going out causes him to have to sit on the counter for 10 minutes to remove them?

I want 80 degrees......waaaah!

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

Guest Hogan's Mom

Since there can be salt on the road where we walk Hogan, we keep a bucket of water inside the garage door. Hogan has learned to stand still while we dip each leg, then towel dry him.

Have a Cairn Terrier and a Silky Terrier. Both do like the snow, which we get from time to time. Best bet is a really silly (but effective) sweater type thing that will prevent clumping on the upper legs and underbelly. The lower legs can be hair-dryer blown. The best part of the snow is that when there is enough, it's a giant cushion. The Cairn loves to be abused and swung about while playing tug. With enough snow you can fling him all over the place getting quite the distance, which is not advisable on say hardwood floors :)

Message to Phungus - don't toss your Cairn! I know from bitter experience that those little legs break rather easily, our puppy is just out of a cast after 6 weeks. He broke his leg jumping down from a chair back! He is a healthy little devil and does not have brittle bones or any such thing. Just be careful how your dog lands - as if you had any control over your contrary Cairn friend.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know about you all but I'd much rather have the snow on my Cairns then the MUD!! Especially when it's caked on their little beards! LOL

Actually, I think I would rather have the snow myself. I've had to put Iagan in the sick several times over the last week to wash the mud and sand off of him.

You know what's worse than mud or snow? Stickers!

Once Wes was rolling around in a nettle patch. Seemed he had a hundred thorns in his fur- mostly under the chin.

Groan. Every week I have to pick some off him.

Yes, mud is a nasty here, too. We landscaped all around the backyard and have it mulched with shredded bark. So, they both become little 'dust mops' after the snow is gone.

My little guy LOVES to dig and roll in the mud, too! Yep, we've done the sink thing many times. So, it probably won't be long before I start a thread on it, too :confused: !

Still :wub: 'em with all my heart, though!

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

Archived