CairnTalk

Storm Anxiety

My Cairn is terrified when it thunders and lightnings. She pants, paces and basically tries to crawl on top of my head. We've been through this for years. She did not respond well to the first medication but seems better using diazepam. What I want is to avoid medicating her. Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can get her through these storms without medicating her? The vet said it's better to medicate once in a while than to let her go through all the hypertension and stress.

• 1 month later...
My Cairn is terrified when it thunders and lightnings.  She pants, paces and basically tries to crawl on top of my head.  We've been through this for years.  She did not respond well to the first medication but seems better using diazepam.  What I want is to avoid medicating her.  Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can get her through these storms without medicating her?  The vet said it's better to medicate once in a while than to let her go through all the hypertension and stress.
MY DOG HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM FOR YEARS.  I WOULD NEVER EVEN THINK OF GIVING MY DOG MEDICATION FOR THIS.  THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO IS THE FOLLOWING.  IF U HAVE A BASEMENT PUT HER THERE.  IF NOT PUT HER IN A ROOM WITH THE LEAST AMOUNT OF WINDOWS AND MAKE SURE YOUR BLINDS ARE DOWN AND SHUT.  NO MATTER WHERE YOU PUT HER, PUT ON SOME MUSIC, LOUD ENOUGH SO IT DROWNS OUT THE SOUNDS OF THE STORM. IF SHE CAN'T SEE THE LIGHTNING OR HEAR THE THUNDER SHE WILL CALM DOWN.  THIS WORKS BEST IF YOU KNOW THE STORM IS APPROACHING AND DO IT BEFORE SHE SEE'S OR HEARS THE STORM.  IF THIS HAPPENS 3 IN THE MORNING OBVIOUSLY YOUR STUCK.  I JUST TRY TO TALK TO MY DOG AND PET HIM AND MAYBE PUT THE TV ON TO DISTRACT HIM. I DON'T KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE BUT IN NY WE DON'T GET THAT MANY THUNDERSTORMS AND I NEVER SAW THIS AS SOMETHING TO WORRY ABOUT.  THEN AGAIN YOU MIGHT LIVE IN FLORIDA WHERE THIS IS A DAILY OCCURANCE.

Archived