CairnTalk

Advice For Those Allergic To Dogs

Guest Matt De La O

Guest Matt De La O

I am told that Carin Terriers are great for people who are allergic to dog dander because they have hair (not fur) and very little dander. Does anyone share this experience? Thanks!

The only thing I can share with you is a story. Long ago our child was allergic to dogs- in particular a German Shepard. My kid would break out in hives and his eyes would be swollen shut.

My son was also allergic to cats.

Now we have a hypoallergenic cat- our cairn. He lies on his back and plays just like a cat does.

We are in no way allergic to our cairn!

I don't know about Cairns since none of my immediate family has pet allergies but I do know Lhasas and Shitzus do not seem to trouble pet allergies too much. My cousin is allergic to cats, dogs, horses, you name it, but she has a Lhasa that she tolerates just fine.

Kim,mama to furbaby, Piper 4/13/2003

"Things that upset a terrier may pass virtually unnoticed by a Great Dane." ~ Smiley Blanton

Our youngest daughter has terrible animal allergies Cats produce a voilent reaction and some dogs will affect her . We have had Abe for 5 months now and no problems she has come love him just like one of the family .Cassandra can pick Abe up or let him in her lap with no reactions from the allergies . :D

Hi! My 2 daughters and my husband are severely allergic to cats and most dogs. When our golden retrievers were put down this spring, we researched for a dog that would not pose a problem. We came up with the Cairn - - except for his craziness - - - - he has not been a problem!! All of us can handle him and not have any side effects!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy. I've always had "moderate" animal allergies, I'd take a script drug before any planned encounters. Of course, you can't plan unplanned encouters. Sometimes reactions were worse than others with the same animals, depending on 100 factors; that ios allergies. 7 years ago I met my now wife and her Cairn Terrier and Silky Terrier. They were not as bad as other animals by far I would be around, Goldens and cats mostly. But they did affect me a bit. Meds helped some, but were not 100%, depending on who knows what. But after about 6 months my immune system gave up and they didn't trigger me *at all*. Other cats and dgos, of course, still do. The terriers are still with us, and at some point will probably be replaced by other Cairns and/or Silkys. But what I can't predict is if I became immune to the BREEDS are just these particular dogs :)

Archived