CairnTalk

Cami in action at agility

avusblue

Pics from our agility sessions.

Cami in action

Cami is further down the page, as well as on pages 2 and 3. Also some more pics of some of her jumps under the Agility tab.

She absolutely loves to blaze through the jumps, but needs a little polishing at the weaving poles.

Edit: fixed link

There's an extra http// in that link. Copy and paste with that removed and it should work (if you really like to see pictures and don't want to wait for the link to be edited, like me!).

Great action shots of Cami! I love the fancy footwork one!

These pictures make me excited to get Henry started!

My daughter and I set up a fun make-shift agility course for Barney in the back yard and he ROCKED! We have a bunch of plywood left over from sheeting our attic, and I keep telling hubby to help me make a little course for Barney with it! How do you find out what competitions are available near your home? Can you BUY an agility "set" for dogs that are the size of Cairns?

I have always thought that Barney would really cook at agility because he runs like a rocket and is quick to learn, as well as Earthdog, because he scents so well. Alas, we live in Illinois and not Oregon or Washington.... My husband was born in Portland keeps telling me we need to move there. Barney would definitely have more to do!!

All creatures great and small, the Lord God, He made them all!

Great job! Agility classes are competitions are such fun for both the cairn and the owner!

Greg and Val Perry

Home of Kula RN CGC, Am. Can. Int'l. CH Cairngorm Coffee Tea or Me RA ME EE2/Can. SE NAJ NAS CGC (Kona), CH Clanmarr's Steele Princess (Hattie) and CH Scotchbroom Thistle The Patriot SE (Sully) Visit: CroftersDream.com

:wub: WOW :wub: What a superstar :magic:

DSCF0083.jpgDSCF0076.jpgDSCF0080-1.jpg

It has often been said if you have a Cairn Terrier in your home for a year you will have one for the rest of your life

My daughter and I set up a fun make-shift agility course for Barney in the back yard and he ROCKED! We have a bunch of plywood left over from sheeting our attic, and I keep telling hubby to help me make a little course for Barney with it! How do you find out what competitions are available near your home? Can you BUY an agility "set" for dogs that are the size of Cairns?

You can find everything you want online. I'm sure that I've seen plans for DIY agility equipment and there are stores that will sell you anything you want. Any equipment that you would buy would be adjustable to fit all breeds.

I've done business with both J&J and MAX200 and had good experiences with both.

http://www.jjdog.com/

http://www.max200.com/storefront/default.asp

You can find events in your area on the AKC website---just enter a state and the type of event you're looking for.

http://www.akc.org/events/search/

You can also find events on InfoDog---just click on a state and events of all types will be listed.

http://www.infodog.com/showinfo/state.htm

There are other non-AKC agility events but I really don't know much about them.

Good luck, have fun!

George

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about to start Henry in further obedience training with an instructor designing it specifically with future agility training in mind. I'm very excited to get started, but also a little nervous. His behavior offlead leaves much to be desired. I'm hoping it's his age (7 months) and that he will drastically improve over time with heavy training. How old were your dogs when you started agility training? How was the offlead behavior? Did it take a lot of work to get them ready for agility?

I'm very anxious to get started on the agility training. I think he'll have so much fun! I'm hoping this keeps us active throughout the dark, cold winter!

Cami was about 16 months when we started agility. She did have puppy and advanced obedience at Petsmart, as well as CGC training before we started agility. However, she's always been quite sticky to us, as long as there no no squirrels, cats, etc around. We train in a fenced field.

One tip that has really helped us with agility is to get her to follow our hands. We hide a treat in both our hands, held between our thumb and palm. Then we shake the hand to get her attention, and if she follows the hand, she gets the treat. We repeated this until we were able to lead her, bringing her around our legs, changing directions, and changing the side she was following us on. This really helped in guiding her during her agility runs. Its a lot of fun, so hope u guys will like it. Good luck.

Archived