CairnTalk

(dopey) bathing question

pammyfay

My girl had her 2nd bath on Sunday... in the bathtub this time, instead of the kitchen sink. She actually jumped out of the tub! Hauled her back in, but she was shaking a bit all the way through (i don't think the water was cold--she was just a bit scared).

Any tips to make the bathing process a little bit smoother? I took off her collar for the bath (the collar's leather)--should I get a cheap nylon one for just bath use, so I can hold onto her better? I was mostly placing my left arm around her front while I soaped her up and rinsed her, but she was still moving around a lot.

This forum has taught me that she won't need (or shouldn't get) baths very often, but I want to make sure that when she does, it's not such a stress-inducing drama for her.

(And as you can probably tell from my questions so far, this is my first dog! She'll be 5 months old on Wednesday.)

thanks!

mine just turned 5 months on sunday and she HATES baths !!!

But the last time I gave her one I stepped in the bath tub with her and it wasnt as bad she didnt try to jump out. I saw at superpetz that they a cable that run across your tube and it connects to another cable that attaches to their collar so they dont try to jump out. Or you can buy thoughs bath wipes? hope that helps

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really." - Carlotta Monterey O'Neill

I've learned it's easier when you have help bathing a Cairn.. we double team - Chris holds I wash - and it's a joint effort to try - otherwise the rockets get loose and good luck... HA!

Hollie Edelbrock & Brystal Sonoma
Chris, Stacy and Little Noah

The few baths that I have had to give Roxy have been painful for both us - she hates it and makes sure I know it :P . I usually have to get help too cos she keeps trying to jump out (and its a long way down from the laundy sink :shock: ).

I haven't tried bathing Susie yet, but I don't really expect her to be any better.

So really all I can suggest is get someone to help and don't feel too bad that your pup isn't enjoying the bath.

ctdogs.jpg

The few baths I have given Sophie are usually a 4 handed operation. I have had to bathe cats that did not fight as hard. :) I imagine if you gave them treats it would help. I brush her alot so I don't have yo bathe.

Sophie

Image032.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I have found the best way to bath any dog (not just our cairns) is to purchase a cheapo swiveling shower head from walmart (you can even getthe old fashioned rubber ones that go over the bath faucet) and a nonslip mat. Go to the bathing isle at your local petstore (Petsmart is where i go) and buy a cheap collor that you dont mind getting wet and soapy...they usually will have a suction cupped mini-leash to keep your dog IN the tub.

Of course the tempurature should be slighly warmer than room temperature but not hot (like making a baby bottle) because no dog likes a cold shower and neither do we.

Believe it or not but Cairns actually do not need to be bathed unless they roll in some really disgusting stuff. They have very little "doggie" odor and their coats can be kept clean with frequent brushing. It's also better for their skin to not be bathed unless necessary.

You can also use a rinse-less shampoo if you think their coat needs a bit of freshening up.

I gave my cairn a bath once and it wasn't that bad - but then, there is a door on my boss' tub (Which is the one I used, as I only have a shower downstairs) and only half the tub was available and I was blocking it - an idea might be to actually get IN the tub with your dog. I did this once when we gave a flea bath to my cat - but then it was a CAT so I was int he tub AND had another person helping me! I didn't know that they don't need to be bathed so often! I've had mine since the end of July and she's been groomed professionally twice and by me once!!!!!!!!! Not trying to hijack the topic, but how do you deal with cleaning the ears? How often is necessary? What do you clean with? Thanks!

WOW!! I must consider my self lucky then, Napoleon loves taking a bath, in fact when I'm in the shower he wants to be in there with me, i only bathe him once every couple of months and he has never even attempted to jump out!! :devil:

Archived