CairnTalk

Grooming, Which One ?

lbare

Need some help please. There is a 6, 10, 12, 16, and 20 blade Mars stripping combs. Which do I buy? Do you start with the smaller number of blades and work down to a finer or more blades ?

I took my cairn to the groomer. I know..I need to learn how to hand strip and clip toenails..but I'm new at all this. He didn't need much..just a bath and toenails clipped and a little bit of trimming. The shaved his ears! Ernie has been schnauzered! Not that I have anything againt a schnauzer! I was just wondering how long I can expect for the fur on/around his ears to grow back?

Katy,

We went to a groomer for Cody's first haircut around Halloween (he was around 11 months old) and all we had them do was thin out his body a little and clean up around his face and feet which are the two hardest spots. I think he will need another round of cleanup within the next few weeks. I would say around 4-6 weeks for the hair to grow back the way it was.

:thumbsup: I use the #8 blade on Brandy. It gives a nice coarse grooming. This would be used for basically the whole body. A good handled stripping knife is used to tidy up smaller areas and give deffinition. I do think the over all best tool is a piece of pumice stone. This catches larger amounts of dead fur with not much hassel. I, myself am still working on the feet. If you must think of this as quality time spent with your dog. Set yurself up in a comfortable area, turn on some music, get a couple small treats and groom away. After four or five tries at this you will not want to quit. The Cairns become more accessible to you doing this and begin enjoying the time with just you. If there are dog shows in your area do not be afraid to go visit one. Take your Cairn and show her off. The people at the shows want to help and share their knowledge. Enjoy this feature of caring for your Cairn. :D

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, I am new to this forum, have a 4 1/2 year old female named Nikki. I have always taken her to the grommer in which they do a good job but I have never shaved her or hand stripped her coat. Could someone tell me what a stripping knife is and a Mars stripping comb andwhere I could get one. What am I supposed to be doing with her coat grooming wise? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Shane... :D

Hi, I am new to this forum, have a 4 1/2 year old female named Nikki.  I have always taken her to the grommer in which they do a good job but I have never shaved her or hand stripped her coat.  Could someone tell me what a stripping knife is and a Mars stripping comb andwhere I could get one.  What am I supposed to be doing with her coat grooming wise?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks,  Shane...  :D

Hi,

Thank you all for the help. I just went to Groomersmall.com and ordered the #8 Mars coat king and 2 stripping stones. I was thinking about getting a stripping knife but decided to wait and see how these 2 items work. I am also mailing my check to CTCA tomorrow for the grooming book. I am sure that my little Nikki will enjoy! She loves to get groomed! Thanks again. :thumbsup:

Archived