CairnTalk

Broken leg

springlady

The most feared thing happened this morning at 8:00 a.m., Drew broke his leg :( ! He jumped off the top of a chair back to the floor (about 4 feet) in a Superdog imitation and started screaming. Off to the vet for the bad news and to the hospital where he is at the moment awaiting his x-rays and possibly surgery. We are scrubbing the house because we do this when we are nervous (both my husband and I) and the cleaning lady couldn't come this week. Anyone out there with post-broken leg experience to share? We are so sad and scared

So sorry to hear about Drew :( These guys have no fear and no sense sometimes! No experience with broken legs, just sprains and the like. The usual problem (with just about everthing) is keeping them quiet as long as the vet would like. Hang in there.

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

Thanks for your thoughts bradl. I just realized I was so overwrought I spelled "broken" wrong! The vet should be arriving at the hospital about now, so we should learn in the next few hours what the the actual damage is. My husband tells me it is not his leg, but his joint that might be broken. Whatever it is, my house is getting really clean. While I wait for the phone call I am about to polish the kitchen's quarry tile floor. That ought to keep me busy so I won't go mad! I feel truly awful, he depended on us to keep him safe and with all our precautions he still gets severely hurt. I know this is why they call them accidents, but I feel like I failed him.

Edit: fixed title

Dear Springlady, Know that my sympathy is with Drew and your family. It wasn't your fault, keeping up with these Cairn Terriers is at times, impossible. Please don't blame yourself-you sound like a very good parent to your little Drew. Post on his results.

Posey :(

The vet thought we had a similar problem with Wes in the Spring. He had jumped down from my lap onto the floor, screamed and had a bad limp.

The vet thought it would be a joint problem because he says it's a common occurrence. He wanted to take x-rays and sedate the dog, but Wes seemed to feel better, so we put it off.

He refused to give the dog aspirin because he was afraid Wes might feel too confident and reinjure himself.

Turned out the problem was a pinched nerve and the doctor did prescribe baby aspirin several days later.

I "spoke" on the internet with a girl who had an old Cairn. She said her dog has all sorts of leg, knee and hip injuries from mis-negotiating leaps.

I hope Drew feels better soon.

Guest CarCarDawn

Hi! I am so sorry to hear of your Cairn's misfortune - - please don't blame yourself - - accidents do happen and these little guys are pretty fearless. All my Riley needs is a cape and he thinks he is "Super Dog"!!! Here's hoping for a speedy recovery!!!

Brandy and Mo and Dad send love and prayers to you and yours. I was just watching ours last night leap off the footstool like a gazell. You are right all they need are capes. Get some rest. Please post updates of progress.

Sorry to hear about Drew :( !

My older Cairn did have a fractured leg when she was very young. My son and a friend were playing in the kitchen with her and he accidently tripped over her. She let out quite a 'yelp' and wouldn't put weight on her leg at all.

This happened on New Year's Eve and I had to page our vet as I had no idea what to do! He returned my call and told me to keep her quiet for the night, give her a baby aspirin (if I remember right?). And, he would meet me at his office first thing in the morning (New Year's Day).

He didn't think it was fractured just because of what happened, my son just tripping on her. He had us wait another day to see if she would get any better but she continued to refuse to put weight on it. He finally took an x-ray and discovered the fracture.

When I went to pick her up, they had put a neon pink cast on her leg from just under her armpit down to the ankle area. She acted fine, like nothing had ever happened. Strutted right out of the office on all fours! I think the cast finally gave her the relief she needed.

She recovered and has been just fine ever since. I must say my poor son felt HORRIBLE! But, of course, accidents happen and he knows he would never have intentionally hurt her.

Kudos to my vet (living in Indiana at the time) for calling me back during a New Year's party and coming out the next day to see her. Sure wish we could find a vet here that dedicated!

Hope you get good news!

Cathy

Cathy and Piper

Thank you all for your helpful words. They have helped me cope with this sad, sad event. Drew is sporting a blue and white cast, having broken both his tibia and fibula in the growth plate of his left hind leg. He looks so sad (and a bit accusatory). We learn today whether further surgery will be needed as the orthopaedic vet will review his x-rays. I'll let you know. As an aside, he was put on the chair so he could view the world again and he leapt off it before we could catch him, cast and all! I don't want anyone to think we are infirm or anything, but this little guy is quicksilver! Check out his picture!

http://www.msnusers.com/5gs9nb0kmb69cikipv005cp4f3

I'm glad Drew is feeling better. He MUST be- 'cause he's playin' superman or Evil Knievel again. Looks like there's almost nothing we can do to stop their adventurous natures. Whew- this could happen to any one of us!

I tried to look at the picture of Drew but I couldn't access the site. At first it said I was banned. I got a little paranoid before I realized that MSN has problems of its own and didn't single me out. (I hope!)

Sorry about the picture! MSN must be the problem. Is there any way to inject a photo into this forum? Suffice it to say, he looks really miserable and accusatory. We are just trying to get him to eat now. Drew is Adventure Boy - I expect many more events to take place over the ensuing years. The Good News is no surgery. The ortho vet says the breaks are clean. Just a visit next Saturday to check the cast for slippage and halfway through the ordeal of healing he goes back to the hospital for re-casting and they are going to neuter him while he is under so as to minimize his having anesthesia so often in such a short time. He is really going to be mad at us now ;)

Sorry about the picture! MSN must be the problem. Is there any way to inject a photo into this forum?

Sure, here's how. The MSN link was a good idea but it does seem to require a login or Microsoft passport.

Best wishes for a fast recovery for Drew (and you). Most cairns bounce back amazingly quickly (even if they don't actually bounce so good themselves :( )

CAIRNTALK: Questions? Need help? → Support Forum Please do not use PMs for tech support
CRCTC: Columbia River Cairn Terrier Club 

:) Congrats on the no surgery! What a fiesty guy you must have. They are fun to watch. I do seriously believe they think they can fly. And what a bout the springs in their back legs. Ours looks like tiger with the bounce, bounce, bounce. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest richardtoronto

my 3 month old dog fractured her tibia and fibula yesterday! The vet has informed us to keep her off her feet for two weeks as her leg is in a splint. So we use a towel under her stomach as a sling when we take her out to the bathroom and she sleeps in a cage at night. My problem is - how do you entertain a 3 month old puppy for two weeks and keep her off her feet! There are only so many bones and rawhide treats I can give her. It breaks my heart to see her like this. I would do anything to help pass the time with her. :(

I can tell you from our experience you may be overdoing it. Our man Drew just came home from the hospital today after having his splint redone, his dew claws removed and being neutered. It is very difficult, make that impossible, to keep a Cairn quiet. You do the best you can. Drew was allowed to walk as much as we thought he could and sometimes we overdid it but to no detriment, he just would be very tired. He spins his little tail like a propeller to keep his balance and seems to only walk on three legs and uses the fourth as an occasional balancer. During the two weeks since he broke his leg he grew some more so he needed recasting. I am told the cast will be on for 6 more weeks, a total of 8 in all. I hope we all make it through this since housetraining is suffering and we find Drew hops up on the sofa when we are not looking! They told us today at the hospital he would be lethargic and not interested in food for several days. He came home and had 3 meals between 1 p.m. and 7 p.m. he finally fell asleep at 8 p.m. Tell me how your puppy broke her leg. :(

Guest CarCarDawn

Hi! My little guy, Riley had major surgery for a liver shunt when he was just 5 months old - - the vets told me that I needed to keep him quiet and immobile for 2 weeks!! Well that was near impossible - - I tried and then I let him do pretty much everything within reason without hurting himself! He actually recovered very quickly and is a pretty active little 8 month old!!! Just use your best judgement for these types of situations - - Cairn's are not dogs - - they are exceptions to everything you read about dogs!!!! Every day there is a new experience - - I have just learned to enjoy !!!

edit: G.

• 1 month later...
Guest jgt432

Our 10 week old Shiba Inu has a broken front leg and is in a splint. The vet had to reset it 4 days after the first splint since the swelling went down. It has now been 9 days since the break. We were not advised to keep her off her feet. She sleeps alot but I think she is benefiting from all the care and attention. I keep one of my 7 year old daughter socks over the splint to keep her from chewing on the bandages.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest pinkdream

:huh: I have an Australian Cattle dog name Katie. A week before Christmas I was talking to my dad in his truck when I noticed Katie walking by our road. The road that goes by our house isn't very dangerous but some people don't pay attention and fly up and down. The other road has cars on it all the time. Oddly enough she was hit on the road that we never worry about. She's always very careful about roads but never expected some punk to actually CROSS the road to hit her on PUROPSE! I'm only 16 but I can shake my head and almost cry at the way people drive!

Immediently she ran under our truck screaming bloody murder. It was nightime, so I'd thought she was dying, but when I pulled her out I could see she was clearly going into shock quickly. Her leg had snapped clear though and was only held by tendons and skin. We took her to our vet who gave her shots to calm her and help with her shock. I remember carrying my dog inside and staying with her the whole time since we have a strange bond. I watched him as he bandaged her leg with a long splint and gave us medicine. Unfortunently, Katie gnawed her entire cast off to lick her leg, everytime the cast was torn off she destroyed what had started to mend, re-breaking her leg.

After a week or two something was seriously wrong so the day after Christmas we took her to a Doggy ER in Philadelphia. X rays were taken, showing shards of bone from her re-breaking her leg so many times. It would never heal on its own so with a big sigh we received and estimate for surgery and discussed the risks.

The monday after Christmas Katie recieved surgery, planting a metal plate and screws into her leg. We took her home three days later with strict instructions. She cannot walk up and down the stairs (well she never walks actually...) she cannot jump onto the bed and must wear that oh so special rediculous but handy white "cone" collar. The E collar. My poor dog is so smart she knows that she looks rediculous and refuses to go outside with it on because people laugh at her.

Her paw also swelled after we changed her bandage every week so for two days we were instructed to leave her cast off, making her leg even more fragile for another break. I'm scared, not knowing if she will fully recover or not. SHe's very active and will not go anywhere without me and vise versa. I am glad that any dog owner who has gone through this has come out okay, but not all these cases end up the same. I just pray for my Katie-dog. :(

Archived